I have so many friends here. It's kind of ridiculous. I mean, in a good way, because I don't know how I survived for five months with the same seven friends. Probably they were just super awesome. Not that my friends here are not! Hmm, I am digging myself into a hole.
Anyway, I had lunch with Hope. I tend to avoid large parties with my high school friends. I did back then, and I do now. I have not teased out my psychological reasoning for that. But I like hanging out with them solo, which I did today. We ended up driving all over Peoria in search of my Glee DVDs, which we got, and in search of a Chi straightener and Alias DVDs, which we did not get.
After I dropped her off at her car, I stopped by the Monahan's to hang out. I fangirled about Hunger Games (my love is undying!) with Wendy while she made curtains. I tried to give Abby hair advice for her 8th grade graduation, even though I have no creative inspiration when it comes to hair. I comforted, and mocked, David in his second collar bone breakage.
Then I went to go to church. I do very much love being a regular part of Woodland again. It's nice to know I'll be around more than four Sundays at a max. Dinner was good, and I went to a TeamKIDs meeting like an important adult. At 6:30 I commenced my first act as Missions teacher! I think it went pretty well. Hopefully the kids realized that Samuel from Brazil needs prayers, and that being polite is a way to show people that Jesus is awesome.
But my favorite thing of the whole day came after TeamKIDs, when a bunch of us stood around reading the answers of the male youth for a survey on modesty and all things girls. My absolute favorite answer (to the question: What about a girl will send you in the opposite direction?) was "a long armpit hair." Which begs the question, are multiple long armpit hairs attractive?
It was all very enlightening and slightly terrifying. It made me miss my Gender and Sexuality class. Back in the day, I thought there was nothing that would make me happier than spending my life researching the intricacies of gender and sexuality. I still think that I could take classes on it the rest of my life, because it's boundlessly interesting. I'm glad they're discussing stuff like that in church. It needs to be addressed before kids go to school and hear about it from their peers. Which, granted, means starting early, because I started those whispered conversations in fifth grade. Kids are not as innocent as we believe, from our elderly adult standpoint. I can't imagine the fifth graders I know having the conversations I did, but I'm sure they do.
Anyway, that was off topic and starting to become a rant. So I'll cut that short right now.
Alias DVD's?! Please tell me they were for you!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry....they were for my friend. BUT I would be willing to give Alias another go if you watch it with me. Sark + Stephanie is a combination I would not pass up.
ReplyDelete