It was nice talking to Bruce today. Somehow we got on the topic of me dating, and he said I probably had someone in mind, and I answered that no, I really don't. I explained myself, saying that the things I want out of life are not likely to be found in very many guys--the desire to live internationally, in big cities, in small villages, in Europe, in Africa, in Asia. I don't care. I just want to go places, and I don't want to stay in one place for long.
Bruce sat there for a second, then said, "Yeah. That'll be pretty hard to find someone like that."
And you know what? It was so nice to hear that. I'm tired of people patronizing me, telling me I'll find "the one." First, I'm pretty sure I didn't complain about not having him. Second, you're only making it worse by insinuating that I am not a complete person until I've found him. Third, you make it sound like some easy thing, like I'm just not opening my eyes or something.
It was gratifying to hear someone acknowledge that the guy I want to marry is not exactly on my doorstep. Sure, God could make him turn up at the randomest time in the randomest place, but by my logic, that means I should stop looking and stop caring. It'll happen when God wants it to happen. Until then, I want to be happily single, and I want other people to be happy that I'm single too.
No comments:
Post a Comment