My aunt Pat is visiting this week, so my mom and I went to my grandparent's house for a family dinner. After eating, my grandma was showing us brochures for Williamsburg, where the five of us (plus my cousin) will be vacationing in July. She was in the middle of describing bayonets hanging from the ceiling when I saw my aunt take out her contact, stare at it for a second, then pop it into her mouth.
I fell apart laughing. Pat looked at me with a mix of "you are so immature" and "if you make me laugh I might swallow my contact." My mom gleefully told the rest of my family that once I got started like that, it might be a good ten minutes before I stopped.
After a few choking breaths, I thought I had composed myself. Then my grandpa said, "What would you do if I was in public and I took out my hearing aid?"
Oh my word. That set me off again, at the thought of him popping his hearing aid into his mouth in the middle of church. Luckily this time Pat and Mom joined me in laughing hysterically. Grandma and Grandpa even laughed along, although Grandpa tried to clarify that it was not what he had meant.
I had tears streaming down my face, and my mom had to physically turn her whole body away from me in order to stop laughing. About ten minutes later, I was composed, although the image of my respected grandfather chowing down on ear wear would pop into my brain and cause me to involuntarily gurgle a laugh.
It's been awhile since I've lost control of my laughter like that. Good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment