Tuesday, June 1, 2010

No Writing Energy. List Instead.

1. American greasy pizza is awesome.

2. I cannot believe I've only been in the States for a week. Already Senegal seems like a distant memory, and Peoria seems like normal.

3. I watched the first episode of Mad Men with my dad. If ever I have been proud to be a feminist, it's while watching that show. Thank God the times have changed.

4. It's far too easy to be distracted here. Life is busy, especially considering my whirlwind weekend, but even when I'm just lounging around at home, there are fifty bajillion ways I can waste my time. I almost want the power to go off so I'm limited to fewer options.

5. It feels normal to be squeezing in time with all my friends of various life stages, but then it hits me....I'm staying here. For a long time. Still not sure how to deal with that.

2 comments:

  1. A re-acclimation in a week's time is pretty good. And Peoria should seem normal to you, after all you have been alive, what, 260 months or so, and only spent 5 of them in Senegal. That is only about 3% of your life.

    I agree with the distractions here. One advantage of being old (am I old?)is that you are immune to a lot of the distractions that the current generation lives with. Still, it seems we are busy all the time. A life with fewer options would take a lot of the pressure off. Maybe we should just unplug everything for one day a week or so?

    I like the idea that you will be here for a long time, but this is not a given. You have a zillion opportunities, and if you want to you could go almost anywhere and start again. This is another advantage of not being old...How to deal with staying here a long time? Make the most of your current situation. God gave it to you and He probably doesn't want you to be upset with Him for making poor choice. I think in the end we will be judged for what we did with what we had, not what might have been.

    Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The being in Peoria for a long time thing is not really a BAD thing. It's a weird thing. I haven't stayed in Peoria for more than a month in the last three years. It's hard to switch my brain from "temporary home" to a more permanent home.

    ReplyDelete