Monday, June 7, 2010

Beauty and Gifts

I am loving Peoria in the summer. It is gorgeous. Last night our church had our evening service at this pioneer church, then cooked hot dogs and hung out outside. Today I had a picnic with my friend Michelle on the playground of the grade school where we became friends. It's just all so green and lush, the sky is beautifully blue with fantastic white puffy clouds. I love it.



In my Theories of Personality class, we studied this one theory that says people are built to look at the world through a certain lens, like logic or morality. At the time, I figured mine was beauty, and after living in Senegal, I am more sure of that than ever. It's really hard for me to live in a place that isn't beautiful. Fatick was just depressing to look at. But Peoria! It's wonderful. My world makes sense.

In a more thinky thought unrelated tangent, I've been confronted with the question of my gifts and talents a couple times in the last few days, and can I just say that I hate that question? Off the top of my head, I have very little idea of what I'm good at. I don't actually think I'm good at anything.

But when it really comes down to it, I think I have two major talents. Writing and adaptability. I don't like that my talents are more reactionary than causational. I have no idea what I can do, but whatever I do, I know that I can get used to it quickly and then express my thoughts about it. So that's...something.

When it comes to spiritual gifts, though, I'm even less sure. So I followed Joel's advice and asked some people. The overwhelming favorite was knowledge, which I can totally see. The only problem is, what good is that? I mean, if it's God's gift, it's obviously useful, but....

The thing is, I feel like everything I'm good at is very intrapersonal. That is by far where most of my intelligence lies. In that personality class, everything we learned, I applied to myself. Other people said, "Oh! This explains my mother/roommate/friend!" Nope. I rarely thought past myself. And isn't that what knowledge is too? I guess I feel like I don't give back enough, that it isn't natural for me to think of other people. I'm not compassionate, that's for sure.

Other than knowledge, a couple people suggested mercy. I can see that a little, I guess. I don't know exactly what that gift entails, so that's part of the problem. But I was also told that I have the gift of accepting people, which is similar to what a friend told me awhile ago, that she felt she could tell me anything and I wouldn't judge her. If that is mercy, then....yes!

I think I should be a psychologist someday.

Then there were some single responses, like giving (which I kind of agree with, and I definitely feel like God is working on growing that in me, so maybe it's a secondary gift?), and discernment and showing up at people's houses at 10:30. I don't know, but I think the last one might have been a joke. I can't really discern the meaning behind it.

Anyway. Those are the things I'm thinking. Sometimes I wish God had written an instructions manual for my life. "This is what you are good at. You will be most rewarded by going into such-and-such a profession." Too bad.

4 comments:

  1. I googled it. This is the website I used, and if you click on the gift it gives you a good definition. http://mintools.com/gifts-list.htm
    I was struck by knowledge too, until I read the definition at this site. It's something you can do, and you're good at it, but I don't think that's your gift, per se. Look up the things I said. We can discuss this further later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it would be absolutely wonderful if God gave each of us an instruction manual. But He doesn't. Based on my 71 years of experience, I am still not sure what I should have done with my life, nor if I made the right decisions when I approached crossroads. I can do many things well, nothing really, really well. I enjoy various seemingly non-related things. I keep learning new things as I go. Unless you are a real prodigy in some particular area, I'm not sure there is any clear answer as to what you are good at. You just keep finding new things as life goes on.

    My philosophy is to do my best at whatever I do, and not to accept "good enough" as good enough. The rest sort of takes care of itself.

    Just keep doing your best, dear friend, and trust me, things will work out very well. No manual with the answers, unfortunately, but a chance to learn as you go.

    (I deleted my previous post because it had a grammatical error)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about Fatick's lack of beauty depressing you! I told you the beauty was hard to find, but it is really in the people! And, a note about gifting... it's amazing how you grow in those areas as God plops new opportunities into your lap. The great thing is, these opportunities seem absolutely out of your realm of ability sometimes. But, you press ahead, trusting Him to do it. Which is why He chooses to glorify Himself through you. I love the clay jar verse. Sums my life up to a "T".

    ReplyDelete