I made dinner for my family. It took almost two hours, and I made every single part of it from scratch, and it was delicious. I find I really like cooking.
We had finished eating and were ten minutes into a movie (yes, we watch things while we eat, and yes, we eat fast) when the tornado sirens went off. I haven't been in a tornado warning for probably two years, when Erin and I fled to Union and the TV blew out because of lightning. Anyway, I thought I was over the whole "deathly terrified" thing, but really I just haven't been exposed to storms very much.
I hate getting scared. I hate feeling weak and powerless. But fear is not something I've learned to control, and those stupid sirens must be directly hotwired to my amygdala, because I was internally freaking out. Luckily my mother is empathetic, and she suggested we go downstairs, which I promptly did. I dragged Misty along too, because I am not going to let her die.
There were a few actual scares, like when the TV guy circled Edwards and wrote "TAKE COVER!" all intense and dramatic. So we did. My mom and I (and Misty!) went under the stairs and sat on a Christmas box (not Misty). My dad stayed by the TV and alternated between telling me it was not going to hit us and comfortingly patting my shoulder.
Long story short, nothing happened. But I can no longer deny that I am not emotionally scarred. The threat of tornadoes terrifies me, especially when paired with the sirens. Also, lightning absolutely terrifies me, but I think that has more to do with watching The Green Mile.
No comments:
Post a Comment