It has come to my attention that I am not good at planning. This was something of a shock, because I've always thought I was detail-oriented and a small thinker, and also very organized. The process of my world being rocked started several months ago when I talked to Chris on the phone.
We were only close for maybe a month, but he is the sort of person who sees into your soul and then talks about it like everything is very obvious. So I told him about working at the library, and how I enjoyed planning programs (see, the planning!). But he said, "That makes sense. You're good at ideas." And I was all, "OMGWTF? I need to hang up and think about what you just said."
I have always wanted to be an idea person! But never ever have I considered myself one. I thought Chris was just losing his touch.
Then I went to Senegal in November with some very planning-oriented women. And they kept saying things like, "I know you think this will just work, but really we should weigh the bags twenty times." And compared to their over-planning, I realized that yes, I do assume that things will fall into place without much forethought.
But the kicker came when my junior high girls decided to do a craft sale to raise money for a missionary family. I came up with the broad plans, and was ready to settle back and enjoy the ride. Then someone said, "Should we put something in the bulletin?"
"Oh. Yeah, that would be good."
"How about asking people to donate stuff?"
"...That makes sense."
"And maybe there should be posters so people know about it?"
"Yes. Posters are good."
And that's when I knew: I don't plan things! I am not the person who gets things done! I am the person who starts things. WHAT?! This changes everything I've ever thought about myself. The truth is that I have been lucky enough throughout my life to be surrounded by people who pick up my idea and make it happen, or remind of what needs to be done to make it happen. On my own, I would be a sad little girl sitting on the floor surrounded by piles of papers with awesome, unfinished ideas written on them.
Epilogue
In my defense, I do plan for some things. They just tend to be weird things that no one cares about.
When I found out I was going to Senegal, I immediately knew I had to grow out my bangs. I mean, screw spiritual preparation or buying necessary supplies. I had to grow out my bangs! That was obviously the most important thing in which I could invest my time.
Yesterday and today, I restarted p90x. One reason for this makes sense. I want to be strong when I go to Mongolia so I can do stuff and not die. But the main reason is this: I have always said I want to marry someone younger than me. (Because women live, on average, five years longer than men. If I marry someone five years younger than me, there is a better chance we could die at the same time! You know, ignoring all those early death possibilities.) Only recently did it hit me that....I am aging. And if I really am going to marry someone younger than me, I don't want to be all flabby and lazy. So obviously, the way to plan for marriage is p90x.
My powers of planning are saved for the very important things in life, as you can plainly see.
I lauged a little when I read the title of this post . . .
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry :-)
Also, I love your reasons for exercising. If you were a decade or two older, I think they might call you a cougar, but since you're still in your young 20s, you're just extremely smart and forward thinking :-D
Also, apparently I'm in a very snarky and teasing mood today. I blame it on Monday. Sorry about that!
ReplyDeleteI have the utmost sympathy for cougars. No one wants to have their spouse die before them so they are left alone for years or decades. Although granted, that might not be the reasoning for most cougars. :)
ReplyDeleteThe problem with younger men is they are immature. But I think to avoid this problem you must marry 30 year your senior. And when I think of that I puke in my mouth. So...I guess we will deal with the 12 year old boy jokes instead. :) (I am older...but by only 5.5 weeks!!)
ReplyDelete