Okay, so I can't really deny anymore that I tend to love vampire stories. And there's nothing wrong with that except for the screaming fans who make it seem like romantic drivel. Not so! What I love about vampire stories is the way vampirism shows the human condition a new light--something which all fantasy, when done well, should do.
I love that vampires are eternal. That gives them loads of time to suffer and repent and experience life. Also it provides for interesting history lessons! But mostly I love that vampires have this huge horrible urge, a secret they must keep if they ever want to find love and acceptance. That means there are two awesome story lines available--1) making up for past sins in an attempt to stumble toward redemption and 2) revealing your secret in a moment of intimacy that will cause relational earthquakes of all kinds.
These are things with which all people who have ever done something they regret can empathize. So, all people. The cover of vampirism just makes it all bigger and more dramatic.
So. I've been a fan of three different TV shows/books about vampires. How do they compare?
Obviously, Buffy is the best! That is because it plays the vampire thing with humor, and lets the drama come from the human failings that fall out. I love that whenever people find out that there are mystical horrors going on, they are always very laid back. "Oh, that's why we have so many mysterious deaths in Sunnydale!" The show isn't about the mystery of vampires--that's all tongue in cheek. What the show does wonderfully is play on the metaphors behind the mystical creatures. And the drama and heartache is when we see how those metaphors are manifesting in the Scoobies and affecting their lives.
I've only watched the first six episodes of The Vampire Diaries, but the vampire reveal has already happened, so I will discuss. Even though this show is light on the comedy and heavy on the drama (hence, second place), I liked how Elena reacted when she found out her boyfriend was a vampire. She FREAKED OUT. As it should be. She was scared for her life, and she didn't trust him. I don't care if you have a crush on a guy and he's cute...finding out he is a creature of myth is terrifying! She gave him a day to explain himself, then dumped him. Even though I'm sure they'll get back together, because duh, I really liked the instant terror. Much more realistic than--
Twilight. One of my deepest shames is that I truly loved those books. And yeah, they are romantic crack, but there is so much stupid in them that I must have willfully closed my eyes. While Elena is all "GET OUT STEFAN YOU ARE CREEPY RIGHT NOW," Bella's reaction is totally different. She finds out Edward is a vampire and is all, "Oh, well that's okay." He even goes on and on about how dangerous he is, and how he's killed people, but she just says, "lolz, but I love you!" UGH. Love does not overcome murder. Not right away. That has to be earned, and by completely trampling over that "reveal big secret to the person you love and deal with the fallout" Stephanie Meyer just ruined any chance at drama or metaphor. Unless it's your personal experience to say "Hello, I'm the most horrible thing you can imagine" and have someone respond, "Cool!"
Yay Buffy, intrigued by TVD, boo Twilight.
No comments:
Post a Comment