Saturday, March 26, 2011

Weekend at Judson

Garmin took me through backroads to get to Judson University, but I didn't mind because I was listening to White Cat (an awesome book by Holly Black) read by Jesse Eisenberg, whose voice is just....*sigh*.

Emily and I sat around her fantastically decorated and shelved dorm room, catching up on life and forming a plan of attack.  We ended up going to Woodfield Mall, where we wandered through stores while we talked about our obsession with stuff and trying to avoid that.  Needless to say, we didn't actually buy anything.  We ate dinner at Ruby Tuesday and discussed...everything!  I felt like I was in a state of verbal explosion most of the night, but I just really needed someone with whom I could be honest and angry and vulnerable and frustrated and happy.  AKA a friend.  So that was nice.

We met up with Joe at a commons (where I had flashbacks to little music camp back in the day), and we talked about missions (which mostly went:  Joe-So I want to go overseas--  Me:  YES YES YES DO THAT!) and played cards until midnight.

Sleeping on the floor was painful.

Emily woke me up and said Joel was in the hospital, which was a different kind of painful.

Joe came with us to Geneva/St. Charles.  While we were filling up the car with gas, Emily got a call with details of Joel's procedure.  We immediately prayed together, and I was incredibly grateful for friends who do that.

We went to a shop that Wendy had said I would like.  Because it was supposed to be "me" I was, of course, skeptical.  But no, she was right.  Everything was adorable and creative and fantastic.  Also expensive.  I ended up getting a pin that says, "add mirth and real enjoyment to life's requirements" because it was only $1.

Then we crossed the street to check out an adorable rambling bookstore.  Emily got another call saying everything had gone well, so things were lighter and happier after that.  We ate at a cafe attached to the bookstore, and I had such a fantastic time hanging out with Emily and Joe.  We've never done anything just the three of us, and I am pleased to add them to the list of couples who do not make me feel like a third wheel.

On our way back to campus, Joe wanted me to see the rich houses near their church.  I said sure, but was secretly thinking he was making a big deal out of some silly mini-mansions.  NO.  We pulled off a normal street into a neighborhood and my eyes went 0_o.   These were the hugest, most ridiculous houses I've ever seen.  They looked like they belonged in British movies with Darcy or Earnest.  We awed and critiqued and admired and gaped.  Also we drove through one driveway because we are so bad-a.

After gathering our things from the dorm, we all headed back to Peoria.  I got lost because I tried to follow Emily's directions instead of Garmin, the combination of which made me stupid (like that's hard when it comes to directions).  But I was still listening to Jesse Eisenberg's awesome voice telling an awesome story, so I didn't care at all.

1 comment: