Thursday, March 31, 2011

Persephone and Hades

....I love when I read something and think, "YES EXACTLY.  You have stolen my thoughts and put them on the interwebs as your own.  Can we be BFFs?"

Little known fact (or maybe everyone knows this about me, but I doubt it):  My favorite Greek mythology story is the one in which Hades loves and steal Persephone.  Epic love.  I even read the junior high version of it in the Goddess Girls series.  Anyway, Meg Cabot is coming out with a new book called Abandon, and it's a retelling of the story.  Forever Young Adult, my favorite book blog (because it's more adult than young, which makes it awesome, and also makes me feel less juvenile), reviewed the book.  And said this:

"Big ups for the myth of Persephone! I’m pretty sure I am not the only quasi-goth here who was OBSESSED with the myth of Persephone in junior high and high school and favored it over most, if not all, of the other Greek myths. I mean, it was just so cool! She gets stolen! To the Underworld! And her mom laments and causes eternal winter! But then Hades strikes a deal with Zeus and returns he Persephone for most of the year but keeps her down in the Underworld for one season a year and that’s why it snows, boys and girls. The snow is Demeter’s ICE TEARS, Y’ALL.

And even though, looking back, it is, you know, not exactly a great myth to favor, considering Persephone is abducted, raped, and finally tricked into staying in the Underworld, and I’m not entirely sure why I love it as much as I do, it’s still a favorite of mine. What I like about Abandon is that it takes care to mention that, you know, a guy abducting you and forcing you to live in his underground lair is NOT OKAY, even if the swoonometer is at 7.

Also, am I the only person who still pauses before eating pomegranate seeds and thinks, “um, where were these sourced? ARE THEY FROM THE UNDERWORLD? Oh. Arizona? Nope, still too close for comfort. PASS.”

Oh my word, why can't I be clever and hilarious like that?  I think those thoughts!  Why do I not have the words to say them?  So much fun!

ADDED:

Bah!  And then I scrolled down and read more awesomeness.  Must share, because now I'm commmitted:

"So, one of my Most Awesome Skills is my ability to forget something, five minutes after it’s told to me. This is a totally useful skill to have, because it allows me to reread books and rewatch movies ENDLESSLY. Because after about three months I’ve forgotten everything but the main parts!

UNFORTCH, this also means that when someone says something, like, I don’t know, “I’m coming out with a new trilogy! The first book will be called Abandon!” what my brain hears is “I’ve got a book called Abandon coming out! Let’s order another martini!” So then I read Abandon and got about halfway through and had that sinking feeling – you know the one, it’s similar to the one you get when you start baking something and realize that you’re missing ONE ingredient and either have to go to the store or scrap your entire batter – the “OH SHIT THIS IS A TRILOGY!” feeling. You know what happens in the first book of a trilogy? NOT SEX OR PLOT RESOLUTION, I’ll tell you that! I mean, sure, trilogies are awesomesauce. WHEN THEY ARE COMPLETE. Can you imagine what would have happened if George Lucas had decided not to finish his Star Wars trilogy and just left it at A New Hope? We would be shipping Luke and Leah and we would have never met Lando Calrissian, the smoothest mofo in the galaxy! And what about The Godfather? What if The Godfather Trilogy had ended with Godfather I? A nation’s people might never have learned about the crushing despair that comes from watching a once-brilliant film franchise decline into two hours of Sofia Coppola screeching!

I mean, don’t get me wrong. I am SUPER GLAD I’ll be spending two more books with Pierce and John and the assorted cast of Isla Huesos. I am just having to fight the urge to keep Meg Cabot locked in a plastic bubble until the next two books are finished."

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment