Friday, March 11, 2011

Old Friend

I had lunch with Michelle yesterday.  She was one of my first school friends, and we stayed friendly through senior year.  Obviously we were not BFFs because we've been living in our hometown for nine months now, and this is the first time we have hung out.

And it was so nice!  She brought healthy stuff, and we sat on the floor of my office, talking and eating.  She is so similar to me.  We share the same childhood--the way we were/are spoiled, the way education was always easy, the way life didn't quite turn out as perfectly as our cookie cutter suburban upbringing promised.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed, because my Woodland friends all have nearly perfect families that they love nearly all the time and hang out with for fun.

It was a relief to talk to someone who is living with her parents for the free rent, but who is deeply unsettled by it.  We commiserated about our privileged white girl pain the way I just can't with anyone else.

WONDERFUL.

We're hoping to make it a weekly thing.  I need someone who understands me, the me that I don't like to share with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment