I try really hard to make my Facebook statuses funny. I mean, not hard like I spend hours on each one, but I definitely tweak the wording and try to make them as concisely hilarious as possible. Unless I'm flailing, at which point, anything is possible.
It's an art form, I think. To be entertaining in a sentence or two. Clearly, this is not usually how I write, since I've always operated under the guidelines, "if one sentence is good, one hundred would be better!" So I'm branching out.
Which makes it so rewarding when people tell me they enjoy my Facebook statuses! When I went home to Peoria last weekend, a few people mentioned that I was so funny, ha ha, and it made my little heart light up. But there is a hidden side to Internet sharing!
Other people feel closer to me than I feel to them. Especially those people who never comment, and I have no idea they are even reading my thoughts. So for people to tell me I'm funny, or they love reading my stuff, or mention something I wrote weeks ago--it's strange! I am very aware that they know more about me than I know about them. Mostly I'm okay with that, because most of the stuff I share is either 1) carefully thought out for public consumption or 2) ridiculous funniness that doesn't really matter. The thing is, I need other people to understand this lopsided relationship. And I think people do, or at least no one acted as though I ought to know their thoughts like they knew mine.
It reminds me of when I met Donald Miller. Having read four of his books, I felt like we were BFFs. I knew his opinions, fears, and desires. My heart and his heart beat simultaneously. Until I got face-to-face and realized he had no idea who I was. It was weird.
THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS and everyone now knows them. What an age we live in.
(If you want to restore balance to our relationships, talk to me! Comment on my posts or statuses, or even just consistently like them. I pay attention. Heh heh, that sounded a bit ominous. Or it should have. Go back and read it again if you missed that intonation.)
But what if we like being on the winning side of an unfair power dynamic? ;-)
ReplyDelete(I'm going to pretend that such an evil plan is behind my lack of blogginess lately)