Another thing about my writing I learned this weekend: someone said, "I can't wait to see how God uses your talent for writing!" and I said, "Me too!"
Until a couple nights later, when I thought about it a little longer. My whole life, I've seen my writing as a placeholder. That I'm practicing for something else, preparing for some mystical "THIS IS IT" writing assignment. And to some extent, duh, everything I write is a chance to play around, learn from mistakes and discoveries, and get better at the writing craft.
But that's not all it is.
I think God is using my Facebook statuses and blog posts right now. My goal with the inane, self-deprecating Facebook statuses is to bring a little levity and joy to people's days. My goal with my blog is the same, although sometimes I go surius biznez and write about something deeper. Two people called me to say they really appreciated my blog on homosexuality, which meant a lot, because I was kind of terrified to write it and make it available to public eyes. It encourages me to know that every once in a while, something I say hits a person in a particular way, either by making them see something in a new way, or by giving voice to a feeling they've had but couldn't articulate.
None of that is super fancy. It's just Facebook and blogging. Someday I'd love to be published, but honestly, that's more selfish vanity than anything. I think I'm using my talent for writing already, and I trust that God is happy with my use of the gifts He's given me. So. No more waiting. This is it! This is me writing, ridiculously and passionately and occasionally thoughtfully, and this is what counts.
"every once in a while, something I say hits a person in a particular way, either by making them see something in a new way, or by giving voice to a feeling they've had but couldn't articulate."
ReplyDeleteTricia, it is a great gift that you are able to do this, and that you do it very well. Reading your blog is always a special treat to me, and you do indeed make me think and sometimes to see things differently. I think God is delighted that you do this! Please don't stop...
Thank you, Tommy! You are one of my great encouragers, and I so appreciate you consistently asking me not to stop blogging. :)
DeleteHooray! I also enjoy your blog and facebooks. :)
ReplyDelete