Sunday, June 9, 2013

Stars

Yikes, I missed two days.  So much for blog-every-day-in-June.  In my defense I was in Peoria visiting the people I love, and also blogging on my iPad is annoying.

When I flew out of Dallas, the sun was setting and lights were popping on 35,000 feet below me.  I thought a little about light pollution, and how in college my friends and I got up at 3 a.m. to drive into the country to watch a meteor shower.  I wondered how many more stars we might see if we didn't have so many lights burning all the time everywhere.

But then I thought, this is beautiful.  The scattered dots of white and yellow, like Christmas or hope or salvation.  And I thought, maybe the stars look down on us and say, "Used to be there were only a few lights visible, but now look!  There are so many!  Isn't it wonderful?"

And from the star's perspective, I thought humanity was doing a pretty good job.

2 comments:

  1. I like this blog entry, but for "stars" I choose to substitute "The Doctor."

    ReplyDelete