A couple weeks ago, I returned 21 Jump Street to the library (which was HILARIOUS, turns out I love guy-humor), and Anju and Ketan asked about it. I told them it was great but too inappropriate for them. There was a lot of cussing, I said. That's okay, Ketan told me. Well, I said, adults can watch that stuff because they have learned when it is appropriate to use those words and when not to. Kids tend to get very excited about those words and use them at the wrongs times or in the wrong ways. Ketan looked at me and said, How are we supposed to learn?
Today Ketan read to me the origin story of the Joker from one of his comics. During a particularly dramatic moment, the characters said, Oh God! Jesus, what are you doing? etc. I turned off the sink and paused him. Hey, I said, personal preference here: I only like to hear God or Jesus when someone is actually talking about God or Jesus. Could you please change those words to something else? He looked up at me for a moment, then shrugged. Sure, he said, and he did.
No comments:
Post a Comment