One of my pet peeves on the Internet (oh man, that's a can of worms) is when people use Scripture to defend their opinion, and it especially bothers me if it's a political opinion. But that's not all. What I hate the most is when someone then refutes that statement with non-logic or disdain for religion or a misunderstanding of Scripture.
This happens all the time with marriage equality. When someone says the Bible says same-sex marriage is wrong, but then someone counters this by saying the Bible is great, but let's acknowledge that it's a 6,000 year old culture-ridden book written by men. And I just start writhing on the floor in a fetal position, because this could be a GREAT conversation, but now everyone is pissed off at each other.
If you want to engage in a conversation (and clearly, most of the
time people do not), you have to enter into the world of your
conversational partner and speak from their position. So in the first case,
Christians should look at the complexity of the Bible from a
non-believer's standpoint and empathize with the crazy, because let's be
honest, even as a defender of inerrancy, there is a TON I don't
understand, and if we bring interpretation into the equation (which we
have to), it gets soooo confusing. And non-Christians should realize
that they are not going to change any Christian's mind by mocking the
Bible or making it less than the revealed word of God. So--engage in
the interpretation conversation! There is a conversation to be had if both people respect and acknowledge the position of the other.
I've also been seeing responses to Mike Huckabee's tweet "My thoughts on the SCOTUS ruling that determined that same sex marriage is okay: 'Jesus wept." And the responses are all sassy things about how Jesus would think Mike Huckabee is a jerk, or that they were tears of joy or whatever. And that is also a disconnect! No one goes away happy!
And yeesh, I just want someone to tell Mike Huckabee that you CANNOT take words out of context without cheapening them. Jesus was crying because he was at his friend's tomb, and his other friends were freaking sad about their brother's death, and they didn't trust Jesus or know Him fully yet, and Jesus was sensitive to all that, and there was a lot going on in that moment, but I'm pretty sure the legalization of same sex marriage wasn't one of them. So. Just shut that conversation down, and everyone stop being so bigoted and insulting in perpetuating this awful culture war.
Ugh, the Internet. Basically, this post says I'm smarter than everyone, na na na na na na na.
Ugh, me. I'm so aware of the pridefulness behind this post, but also, I'm totally right. So.
Nah, it just says you're frustrated. I spent a lot of time on Twitter this week (because I have a desk job and get bored, and also because I was looking for info on the Voting Rights Act ruling) so I sympathize.
ReplyDeleteTricia, you are not smarter than everyone, but you are certainly smarter than most Christians I know, especially the conservative ones. I just finished reading Thad Norvell's comments, (http://thadnorvell.com/2013/06/26/gay-marriage-and-the-posture-of-the-gospel/) and he nailed it. Just like you do so often. You have reason to be prideful. I wish more people thought like you think.
ReplyDelete