I was listening to a song that will be HOPEified, and although it says "men of God" I was totally relating to its theme of rising up and standing firm in faith. Then I learned it was for the mens, and that if I wanted, I could be a part of the bridge, as "the girl who isn't married, but is looking for a guy like this."
There usually aren't specific instances where I feel my feminism exploding, but this was one. Sure, a guy like that would be great. But you know what else would be great? If I could be like that! And I'm not going to sit around waiting for some mythical man when there is spiritual work God and I could be doing in my life.
I mean, sure, whatever. It's good we're encouraging the men in our church. But women need encouragement too. Next song, please?
I would not consider myself a feminist. (Have you met me? I stay at home with my children so my husband can bring home the bacon...I <3 it) However I agree. :)
ReplyDeleteI would prob venture more on Nes's side of fem. I do agree with both of you. On the other side, with the hopeful idea of having lots of boys in my near future, I pray for more courageous men surrounding them, and sometimes, i feel that's lacking... I guess the true test will be when we invite them to HOPE.
ReplyDeleteAnd, do you think that courageous men feed women's courage? I know it's easier for me to feed the dogs in the dark if i know nathan's home, rather than when i'm home alone...i dont know...i think i need to read a book on this.
Okay, first a bit on what I think feminism means, since you can find anything from man-hating feminism to cultural feminism under that term. I simply mean that i believe men and women are equal, and deserve equality. Not that we are exactly the same. Just that the things a woman can do are just as important as the things a man can do, but unfortunately, our society doesn't think that way.
ReplyDeleteFor instance, Anessa. Staying home and raising kids? Is kind of incredible and hugely intimidating to me. You are shaping the next generation. That is easily as important as a man being CEO of a car company.
And really, I have no problem with building up strong men. I was just blindsided, since I was relating to the song personally, and then was told no, it's about people of the opposite sex. And while it's extremely important to encourage men to be courageous, why can't we encourage everyone to be courageous? Ike Lindsay said, one person's courage can feed another's.
After having met two women who went to Mongolia, started an orphanage, started a church, are the reason that over fifty people now know Christ and worship Him in that church, and each adopted three children...all without a husband. I just worry that sometimes we teach young girls that they can't do stuff like that without a husband. Is a partner nice? Of course. But I'm offended by the idea that I have to sit around and wait for a guy before I can serve God.
Taking a simple thing and blowing it out of proportion. Sorry. But I feel strongly about this, and it makes me sad when people don't like feminism. What's wrong with wanting equality?
I think that in this case it's not necessarily about equality. We understand that everyone wants to be courageous for God and that people all do that in their own way, married or not.
ReplyDeleteHowever, because we've already done all women songs in the past, this is a good song (since it is written for a movie about men being courageous) to try to get more of our men involved...The song itself will encourage everyone to be courageous, just as all HOPE songs before have done for those performing and for those watching.
I do believe you have enlightened me to what feminism really may be. I always envisioned it as angry I guess. Like my husband will probably always be capable of making more money than me. Is that because he is a man and I am a woman? No. It is because he has many more years of work experience and education under his belt. It is because I choose education (when I finally finish it!) instead of business. And we all know there is no money in education. ;)
ReplyDeleteBut THIS----> "I just worry that sometimes we teach young girls that they can't do stuff like that without a husband." is the stuff that makes me worry. Just because I CHOSE to go from my father's house right into my husbands house doesn't mean that I couldn't make it on my own. (Sometimes I struggle with this, but that is an "Anessa" issue, not a "woman" issue.) Hmmm....you are making my brain work... :)