Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Moral Quandries

I love shows like Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, and Torchwood, because they introduce all these moral quandries that you can't quite explore realistically in our world.

For instance, in the Children of the Earth miniseries, there is this really excellent scene where I gaped at the characters on screen, absolutely repulsed by their decision.  "I would NEVER do that!" I thought.  "Never even consider it!  That's horrible and inhuman!  I mean, right?  I wouldn't do that?  But I guess the alternative...and it kind of makes sense....OH GOSH WOULD I!?"

Your turn!  Let's say an alien race appears on earth.  It says that you have to give up 10% of the world's children or else it will destroy everyone.  It shows you that it is more than capable of doing so.  What is your response?  Do you give up the children, or fight and therefore die along with the entire planet?

And it gets trickier and more disgusting when YOU and you alone are in the know.  If you decide to give up the children, how do you pick which children?  Is it a fair lottery?  Do you include your children/grandchildren/brothers/sisters/nieces/nephews in the lottery?  Do you pick kids from poor schools?  Do you pick orphans?  Do you pick the handicapped?

MY SOUL IS CRYING.

I'm really hoping there's another option, because there's still one episode left, and I'm hoping Captain Jack Harness will somehow bypass "give up the children" and "die" and find the hidden option 3.  Please!

But regardless, good show!  It's nice to stretch some hypothetical moral muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment