Monday, August 22, 2011

When Memories Become Fiction

I like to think that I'm not shallow, but hahaha, obvs that is not true. I've finished all the David Tennant episodes of Doctor Who, and this morning (hurray for the return of my lazy Monday mornings!) I started watching Matt Smith as the Doctor.

I watched with squinted eyes, ready to hate everything about him. But then he opened his mouth, and oh my word. He has the sexiest voice. He sounds ike Heath Ledger in a British movie. And that sexy voice was all it took for me to look favorably on the 11th Doctor.

In other news, I got lost on my way to the Teen Librarian meeting at the Washington library. But afterwards, I caught up with my Brimfield librarian friend! She is so sweet--she immediately asked about Mongolia, and said she'd been looking forward to hearing my stories today.

As I told her about it, I experienced that really awful feeling where real stories feel like fiction. I've only been back in the US less than a month, but wandering the streets of Ulaanbaatar, peeing in an open field, and manipulating my mouth into forming Mongolian words seems so long ago.

This is my least favorite part of traveling. And here is my one reason why traveling alone is bad: there is no one to help keep the memories of your trip alive.

Now I'm sad. And I desperately want to return to Mongolia, get the second half of Anya's mom's kiss, curl up in my bed with the itty bitty pillow, and wake up to Gany knocking on the apartment door, whisking me off on another adventure.

...that sounded like Doctor Who. No wonder I loved it there so much! Ugh. Gosh darn it, I only lasted three weeks stateside, and I'm already itching for more travel. Wanderlust is inconvenient!

No comments:

Post a Comment