I had dinner with a high school friend, and I started to talk about how I really missed college but not high school, which. You know. Is vaguely insulting to a friend from high school. But she picked up the dropped ball and said, "Yeah, you always seemed just done. From the beginning. Didn't you even try to graduate early? Yeah? We all thought you couldn't get out fast enough."
And. I didn't know other people thought this about me? Which I realize is stupid because I talk about it all the time. I am constantly searching for the next adventure, the next place, the next fun. I just didn't know that everyone was as aware (or more so) of this as I am.
So I'm going to stop that. Hopefully. Because now it just feels really rude. Even though she didn't say it as an accusation or anything, I just felt like it is no longer an okay emotion when everyone is aware that you are always mildly dissatisfied.
I graduated a semester early. I make no apologies about trying to get out of high school fast. I despised it. With Union, however, I decided to take that "unused" semester from high school and tack it on at the end of college just for fun. Actually it was fun. :) (I did quotes on unused because I actually didn't not use it, I went to ICC and took a couple of core classes. Overachiever, what?)
ReplyDeleteBeing mildly dissatisfied seems like a fairly common way of life. You have actually helped me to realize that I, too, am doing this same thing. I'm mildly dissatisfied with having only two children, so we get pregnant again. Mildly dissatisfied with being pregnant (ok more than mildly), so I can't wait for it to get done. I'll be mildly dissatisfied with no sleep for months (ok, again maybe not so mildly). Maybe this is also something I should be working on. Being content where I am. If only the Bible were clear on that topic...
Hahaha you made me snort into my coffee with that last line.:)
ReplyDeleteMe too at 63 years. I have to be careful to live today but I'm constantly looking forward to what God has for tomorrow. No, I'm not missing the present but anticipation of even more of His excitement is constant.
ReplyDeleteBill
If we were all satisfied with the status quo, then there would be little or no progress, learning nor acquisition of wisdom. It is normal for a Christian (or an Islamist or a Buddhist or whatever) to tell you to be content with what you have, but I think you should be a bit discontented and try to get more. I sound like a capitalist, don't I? Discontent is a great motivator. Without discontent we would still be in the middle ages.
ReplyDeleteWell, your next adventure as far as I see it is hanging out with me next weekend. So I think you *should* be getting pumped for that . . . :-P
ReplyDelete