Wednesday, August 17, 2011

BAM! Feminist Manifesto

In light of my recent post, I want to clarify something.

'Feminist' is not a bad word! 

It makes me sad, genuinely sad, when people clarify "but I'm not a feminist."  Whyever not?  Especially women.  I mean, I can understand men not wanting to be feminists.  They've got all the cultural power, and it makes sense not to want to give that up.  That's why men who are feminists rock my soul.  Jesus messed with gender expectations all over the place.  Joss Whedon is an outspoken feminist in Hollywood of all places (and if you need to look anywhere to see gender inequality, just look at Hollywood).  My brother hugely respects women and actually taught me how to be a better feminist.

But women?  When you avoid calling yourself a feminist, it's like you're saying, "but I agree with the fact that myself and all humans with two X chromosomes are genetically inferior to those with an X and a Y."  Why would you agree to that, and furthermore, why would you support that idea and continue it?

Feminism doesn't mean thinking women and men are exactly the same.  It does mean thinking that men and women are equals.  No matter the differences, no matter the similarities, both sexes deserve equal status, equal pay, and equal respect. 

How is that a bad thing?  Here's a pretty graph.

newwavefeminism:

this is a problem. we need to break the machine.

If you found yourself shocked and/or appalled by this, and especially if you think, "well something should be done to change that!" then you, my friend, are a feminist!  Welcome!  It's not a dirty word, I promise.

Oh, and real quick, about the stereotype of "angry feminists."  First of all, that's silly.  Stereotypes are always silly, because in a group of people, not once is everyone exactly the same (unless you get together a group of clones).  But the ones who are angry?  So what?  Feminists are men and women who see oppression and inequality in the world, in their workplace, and in their homes, and they find that inequality repellant.  Of course they get angry!  We should be angry when we see something that is wrong!

And to lighten the mood, here's a real life example of feminism.  On a mission trip, Ashley and I were sitting at the top of a roof throwing shingles to boys who were doing the nailing, because heights are not my friend, and also I have no experience with nail guns.  One of the boys said, "Sure, girls.  Leave the work to the men!"  I snapped and said, "I'm incompetent because I'm incompetent, not because I'm a woman."  And then Ashley got up and worked circles around him. 

And that's feminism.  Owning our skills and our weaknesses as individuals rather than hiding behind labels such as "man" "woman" "masculine" or "feminine."

So, please.  Women, have a little pride.  Men, have a little humility.  Women are not inherently inferior to men.

2 comments:

  1. From someone who may come off as "anti" feminist, I also get labeled that way b/c im "domesticated" yet another stereotype. Sometimes people viewed that since i do focus on my home, my husband, my stove, i am anti women. But, I don't think men understand how much power we really have over them. I may not vocally advocate for females' rights (aka. def of feminist), but i understand the injustice and fully support change...lots of change... I think there's a big difference between an anti-feminist and someone who supports feminists. By def. I'm not a feminist b/c i dont speak out, right? But does that make be a bad woman? OR non supporter of women's rights? HELL to the NO!

    Not commented in anger, but still feel that it's a valid side of the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shouldn't have used anti-feminist that way. There's a difference between not calling yourself feminist and actively being against gender equality.

    I don't think feminists have to actively stand out. They just own their beliefs. I am an American, but I don't wear a flag on my shirt every day. I am a Christian, but I don't talk about Jesus in every single conversation I have. I am a writer, but I've never been published. Lots of labels aren't visible all the time.

    It just makes me sad when I have a label that I'm very proud of, and people that I know agree with the things I am supporting don't like the label. The only reason a label is important is that it gives an issue power. The more people who claim "feminist" as something good rather than bad, the more the issues of fighting gender inequality will be addressed.

    So basically, I would classify you as a feminist. I know you care about people, about women. I know you value the work women do. I know you want to have kids, and COME ON, raising life inside your body for 9 months is basically a superpower.

    But if you don't want to be labeled that way, you don't have to. I'm just trying, in my lame internet way, to change the perception of the stereotype.

    ReplyDelete