I think people sometimes view me as an adventurer. When Stephanie and I interviewed our friends about what they thought of us, Bruce called us "spontaneous." When I told people about Mongolia, they often said something like, "omg! You're going alone?" All of which has added up to me thinking that others see me as cooler than I am.
Because yes, okay, going to Mongolia on my own was pretty badass. But the typical day in my life? Goes like this: I have an idea of an awesome party or adventure. Then I decide to watch a TV show instead. Or a friend calls me up to hang out, and I decline because I'm in the middle of a really good book.
I am usually very boring. A homebody. An introvert.
But then, I do like the idea of adventure. I love new things, weird things, awkward things. The getting me to do it, though? Pretty difficult.
For instance. Two years ago, Stephanie and I decided it would be totally awesome if we went to Harry Potter Land in FL. At the time, I thought, "That will never happen." Two months ago, Stephanie called to tell me that she had planned the whole trip....with two other people, but of course I should come too. I mostly felt pissed and betrayed and unneeded, so I decided not to go.
And then I watched Doctor Who. And the image of him, hand outstetched, offering new worlds and adventure, fun and possible danger? It resonated deep inside me. Having a life of adventure means making choices. It means choosing to do something out of the ordinary, throwing caution or good sense out the window for the sake of an awesome experience.
So now I'm choosing to go to Harry Potter Land. I'm going to fly there and back in a weekend. I'm going to drink butterbeer and buy Chocolate Frogs and take pictures of everything. I'm going to have fun with Stephanie and her friend, and also....I'm bringing Laura. Because even the Doctor, adventurer extraordinaire, likes to have a companion.
That. Is. Awesome. How fun!!! When do you go?
ReplyDeleteI want to invite myself on your trip, but I'm too cheap...
ReplyDeleteJenna