Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Will Raise Up a Generation (Of Two)

One of my favorite things about nannying kids is passing on my infinite wisdom, especially when it comes to gender and sexuality.  Yesterday Ketan and I had this conversation.

Ketan:  Miss Trish, what's your favorite girly color?
Me:  I don't think there's such a thing as a girly color.
Ketan:  No, like fushia or pink or purple?
Me:  Colors are colors.  There aren't feminine or masculine colors.
Ketan:  Miss TRISH.  What's your favorite girly color?
Me:  My favorite color is green.
Ketan:  That's not a girly color!
Me:  There are no girly colors.
Ketan: ...I'm glad you think that, because my favorite color is purple.

AW YEAH.

And maybe a month ago, I was especially pleased with this conversation.

Ketan:  This kid in my class is so annoying.  He's so gay!
Me:  Oh yeah?  What makes him gay?
Ketan:  He's annoying!
Me:  That has nothing to do with being gay.  Why do you think he's gay?
Ketan:  He wears crazy clothes.
Me:  Sometimes I wear crazy clothes.  I love when people wear crazy clothes!  But that doesn't make him gay.  What makes someone gay?
Ketan:  Miss TRISH.  I'm just saying he's gay!
Me:  Because he's annoying?
Ketan:  Yes!
Me:  That has nothing to do with being gay.  C'mon.  I know you know what it means to be gay.
Ketan: ...It means being a boy and liking boys.
Me:  Right.  Is that kid gay?
Ketan:  No.  But he's annoying!
Me:  Yeah, okay.  I believe it.

1 comment:

  1. Blogger needs a "like button" or "I laughed out loud when I read this" button...I would push both.

    ReplyDelete