I was flipping through my old xanga blog from junior year of high school (eight years ago!) and well crap. I talked about EVERYTHING. With such enthusiasm! I mean, I would discuss the intricacies of a lunchtime conversation then wax lonely about how much I wanted to get married in a couple years, then freak out about some nerdy thing or another. Now, I realize I do all those things still. I'm the same person. But I used to do all of that in one post. Every day.
What changed? Am I aware that people are not actually interested in the mundane events of my life? Did I used to not know that my life was mundane? How sad! Did I really used to think that every part of my life was exciting and worthy to be shared with the interwebs? And now I've lost that?
I don't know how I feel about all this.
EDITED TO ADD: I used to end every post with a quote, and one resonated with me, so I put it as my facebook status. IMMEDIATELY, two high school girls liked it. Hahahahaha. It must be especially meaningful at that time of life.
"What changed? Am I aware that people are not actually interested in the mundane events of my life?" Probably a lot more aware than you were back then. This is just part of maturing and gaining a perspective.
ReplyDelete"Did I used to not know that my life was mundane?"
Probably. Youthful enthusiasm and freshness of thought.
"Did I really used to think that every part of my life was exciting and worthy to be shared with the interwebs?" Yep.
"And now I've lost that?" Not really. You are just more mature and have a larger perspective which comes from life experiences and the passing of time. It is a sign of wisdom when you understand that you are not the center of the universe. That just makes your posts more interesting and meaningful because they reflect greater wisdom and understanding. Trish, more and more often you really zero in on real issues and make us think. Don't stop doing that!