Monday, October 10, 2011

This Took A Long Time

1.  What's a question you’re afraid to ask? To whom?
Do you like me?  To any boy I like.

2. What’s something you hide about your personality?

My mind automatically jumps to hilariously inappropriate comments.  Sometimes I hide them, sometimes I don't.

3. What’s something other people think about you that you don’t agree with?
I dunno, what do people think of me?  Any answer is simply what I THINK people think of me.  I suppose some people might think of me as a "perfect little church girl" which is rubbish.  None of those exist, anyway.

4. How do you deal with criticism?

By getting defensive, then very sad.  I, uh, don't take criticism well?  Because I'm perfect.  Or I want to be.  Or I want other people to think that I am.

5. What’s the sweetest thing anyone’s ever done for you?

Last year I had a really crappy birthday (23 doesn't even SOUND like a good year), but I got a package in the mail from no one.  Inside were pink sunglasses with 'Darren Criss' printed on the side.  I knew they were from Stephanie, and I was so excited she remembered my birthday and got me something even though we hadn't lived in the same place for over a year.  I was touched.

6. What’s the sweetest thing you’ve ever done for someone?

I made a comic book of Jill and me in middle school, like painstaking thought of a plot and made squares and drew and colored.  It was awesome, and I still regret not photocopying it before giving it to her.  I'm pretty good at random creative crap like that.  If I feel like it.

7. What’s something sweet you’d like someone to do for you?

Take me on a roadtrip adventure!  But only if I'm feeling spontaneous and wanderlusty.  Otherwise, give me food.  And a book recommendation.

8. Describe your favourite texture.

As the new owner of a cat, I'm gonna have to go with fur.  I'm the best pet owner in the world, because I can pet a cute animal for hours.  So soft and fuzzy!

9. Trigger warning: Which national or global tragedy were you closest to and how did it affect you?

Union tornado.  It made me terrified of wind at night, and I still internally freak out at tornado sirens.  It was the first and only time I actually thought I was going to die.  When I didn't, it made me think about God and his goodness and his plans for an entire semester, and opened up a lot of interesting conversations with friends and acquaintances.

10. Post a photo/draw a picture/write a poem (pick one) of a moment of personal significance.

I wanted to work with Asians,
And Vancouver seemed pretty amazin'.
But I knew no one on the mission team;
They were older and intimidating.
I was scared to go alone.
Would I step outside my comfort zone?

Yes. 
And it increased my confidence
by 200%.

11. Which fictional character would you most like to have lunch with and why?

River Song.  I think she'd be funny, and probably we'd have to escape some kind of alien threat, but she'd totally have it under control so I wouldn't worry.  I would ask her how in the world her timeline works, and we'd fangirl over the Doctor, and at some point I would ask if I could pat her hair.

12. Who would you say is your “anti” role model? Someone who serves as a warning rather than an inspiration?

Everyone's relationships ever.  If you've a bad one, at least.  Every time someone breaks up or has a fight, I take mental notes of, "Talk about this earlier.  DO NOT ALLOW THIS.  Try to work on this personality flaw.  Learn to compromise.  Do not date people like this."  Thank you, anti-role models, for maybe sparing me a bit of relationship pain in the hazy future!

13. What’s your least “politically correct” opinion?

I think Asian babies are the cutest.  I used to call this "reverse racism" but um, no.  It's straight up racism.  Sorry.  Working on it.

14. What kind of underwear do you imagine Sherlock Holmes wears?

Old time Sherlock totally wears long johns but sometimes forgets to do up the flap in the back because he thinks while he's going to the bathroom and gets so immersed in his ideas that it goes unnoticed.  Modern day Sherlock, a la BBCs series, buys bulk bags of black boxer briefs (look at that alliteration, ooo la la!).  Efficient, no thought.  Who has time to worry about underwear when there are serial killers to gleefully track down?

15. What’s one of the most difficult things you’ve ever had to do?

Getting up to give a valedictorian's address in front of my high school was aboslutely terrifying, but I eased the horror by doing a joint speech with two friends.  And it was cheesy and I spoke super fast.  Pretty much any time I have to speak in public, it feels like the Most Difficult Thing EVAH.

16. If you were an element on the Periodic Table, which would you be and why?

Beryllium.  Because it's the first element I thought of to BE.  Ho ho.

17. What’s the most infuriating thing your parents (or caregiver) do?

Hi, Mom!  They try to talk to me in the morning, when all I want to do is make coffee, eat breakfast, read my Bible, and slowly let my vocal chords and personality remember how to work.

18. Which Disney Princess do you most identify with and why? Which is your favourite and why?

I identify most with Belle.  She reads a lot, which opens her mind to this beautiful, exciting world, but she's stuck in her poor provincial town with people who don't share her interests or passions.  (This is not wholly true to me, thank goodness!  But sometimes it feels that way.)  Anyway, then she gets whisked into a story that starts off scary, but ends up awesome and magical and beautiful!  Story of my traveling life, minus talking candelabras and love stories with beasts.

My favorite, however, is Jasmine.  I always thought she was so beautiful, and she had a tiger, which was awesome.  She married for love rather than political gain, and she used to sneak out of her privileged position to experience a common life.  Plus she got to fly on carpets!

19. You’re an Action Movie Hero. What’s your weapon of choice and the line you scream when defeating your arch enemy?

I'd just use my fists of lightning, and scream, "GET AWAY FROM ME PLEASE!"  I'm not really Action Movie Hero material, even in my fantasies.

20. What’s the silliest fan theory you’ve ever come up with?

I had some weird LOST theories, because nothing could be weirder than the show itself. I thought Sawyer/Juliet was a huge misdirect, because obviously Kate and Sawyer belonged together. I thought Jacob vs the Man in Black was some epic good vs evil thing, but they were just brothers with flaws. I thought Walt would come back and be important. My version of things would have been better, I think.

21. What did you think about before you fell asleep last night?

I was happy, because I'd just read an article in Relevent magazine about my generation, and they kept describing us as...well, me. And it was so freeing to realize a whole lot of people share my opinions, and I'm not completely weird.

22. What’s the oddest term of endearment you’ve ever used or that someone’s used for you?

When I was in 8th grade, I called this guy friend I had a crush on "my monkey" and he called me "his fawn." That was pretty odd.

23. What motivates you in life?

People's stories of awesomeness, usually involving travel to a poor or sad area, making it better, serving God, and/or adopting 18 kids. Like this girl Katie Davis, who Liz just told me about. She's crazy!

24. What was something you used to enjoy, but was ruined for you? What’s the story behind
that?

Skipping arm and arm with my friends. At a high school band contest, I did that with a friend, and some stranger yelled, "Dyke!" at us. I didn't even know what it meant at the time, so it had to be explained, and it just kind of ruined the carefree joy of it all. I still skip on occasion, but there's always the knowledge that people might judge me in the back of my mind.  Loss of innocence, makes me sad.

25. How do you think you will fare when the Zombie Apocalypse arrives?

Oh man, I'll die so fast, unless I somehow stumble on a smart group of survivors. I'm not violent enough to defend myself, and I think I would get so stressed, I would just allow myself to be bitten so I wouldn't have to fight anymore.

26. Which mythological creature are you most like? Why? And if you could be any mythological creature, which would you want to be? Why?

I would want to be a Phoenix, because they are so super cool. But I'm probably most like a unicorn, gentle and peaceful until you rub me the wrong way and then Bam. Horn in the gut. Haha, no I'd totally just sulk with my other unicorn friends. No horn-gutting.

27. Write a brief story about an actual adventure you’ve had.

Brief? At the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, I lost my two teammates. I was only a little scared of being alone in this maze of market stalls, because mostly I was so excited to see if I could get out. And I did! Then my leader got mad at me, but I didn't care, because I was brilliant.

28. Describe one of the most awkward experiences of your life.

Building up a friendship with a boy because I wanted to date him, then hinting that I liked him. He said, "I hope you don't think I've been flirting. I'm still in love with my ex." I pretended I didn't care, and then I was stuck being his friend for another year.

29. What’s something that scares you about the future?

That I might not leave Peoria. Or alternatively, that I might leave Peoria. So the answer is: everything.

30. List 5 quirky things about yourself.

1)  I really enjoy awkward situations.  2)  I legit hate eating desserts before meals.  3)  If I wear a skirt and ballet flats, I like to imagine I'm walking/floating on clouds or something, so I usually end up flouncing.  4)  I want to be the sort of girl who loves stuffed animals, but I'm not, and never was.  5)  I bought fake hipster glasses, and I love them.

31. Describe your dream library.

Perfect question is perfect!  My dream library is in my house, with a sliding ladder and probably a spiral staircase up to another level of books.  It would be in bright, sunny colors, and probably with a big window (or skylight?).  There'd be an indention in the floor with a square of the comfiest couches ever, and also a minifridge in the corner.  Somehow disguised to look fancy.

32. What’s the weirdest item you’ve ever mourned?

My tornado shoes.  I had blue ballet flat Crocs that survived the tornado with me, and for years after I wore them frequently and always though of them as my tornado shoes.  Last spring they broke, and it felt like a link to who I was then, and what I learned, was severed.

33. If you could design an amusement park ride, what would it be like?

It would be a 3D ride, because I don't do actual falling and flipping.  It would be Harry Potter themed, and maybe involve flying over Hogwarts, escaping acromantulas, dementors, and dragons while seeing my favorite HP characters throughout.  OH WAIT, that ride already exists, and I've been on it three times.

34. Do you have any “rules” about food?

Save dessert for last.  Try to eat so that you finish everything at the same time.  Do not eat green beans ever, under any circumstances.

35. What’s your opinion on age differences in relationships?

Snerk.  I don't mind them at all.

36. What’s something you want to do that you’d be embarrassed to tell other people about?

I want to smoke pot in Amsterdam where it is legal.  Hm.  Apparently I am not so embarrassed as I thought.

37. Describe a time/event in your life that you’re nostalgic for.

College years in general.  They were brilliant.  Also Senegal, sometimes.  Mostly recent things, though--I didn't really like myself until a few years ago.

38. How do you approach social situations?

With friends--as an adventure.  With strangers--as a battle.

39. What is your ideal bed? Why?

I always liked Mercedes' king size bed.  And I loved the duvets in Europe.  So something like that, all cushiony and cuddly and warm.

40. Post a short excerpt from a fanfiction based on your life.

"Tricia ran down the gravel road to the lonely house hidden amongst the trees.  She knocked on the door, ready to explain that all their lives were in imminent danger because of the flood!  The door opened, and Charlie McDonnell stared down at her.  Tricia stared up at him.  They started making out.  Charlie's mother came to to the door to find out why there was a draft, and so the kissing had to stop.  Tricia told them all about the flood, and the three of them drove away.  In the car, there was probably more making out."

This fanfiction is, sadly, an actual dream I had a few days ago.  How creepy to dream of kissing a real person??  Okay, maybe that's not creepy, but it is because I only know him from youtube videos.  Oh, also, I guess I blanked after the word "fanfiction."  Obviously this is not based on my life.  Sad.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia! Number 17 noted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! I totally have tornado shoes too!! For me, they're the shoes I bought the day after the tornado--they were the only shoes I owned for about five days. But I call them my "tornado shoes" too. And . . . they're also kind of dying. I also have a shirt that I really don't love anymore, but I can't get rid of it because it's what I was wearing during the tornado and the Pflasterer kids remembered and called it my "tornado shirt" whenever I wore it.

    All that goes to say (somewhat selfishly because it's mostly about me), I'm very sorry for your (shoe) loss.

    Less selfishly, I really enjoyed reading this. Various forms of your awesomeness made me smile every few moments :-)

    ReplyDelete