A few days ago, in the midst of a conversation with Roy, he said, "I like unique things simply because they're unique." My mind exploded a little bit, and I thought, "But that's my line!"
I've always idolized Roy, and hearing that we are so intrinsically the same was very weird. Partly it is awesome, because I am like my idol! Partly it is disappointing, because my idol is like me.
Then my psychology brain took over, and I've been wondering why we would both be so caught up in the pursuit of the odd. Tonight I found my answer.
Our parents are normal. They are content with the standard. I'm not talking politics or worldviews or anything. It's just when a decision has to be made, their response is likely to be, "What is everyone else doing?"
And that makes me want to vomit, unless the followup is, "so we can do the exact opposite." I'm a hipster at heart, and I love it, though I am fully aware of the hypocrisy in conforming with a group's desire to be non-conforming.
So apparently in embracing the status quo, my parents have caused their children to desperately attempt to be outliers. At least I know why I am this way, and that I have someone with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment