Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things I Love: Dd

Doctor Who

From Craig Ferguson's song he made up describing why Doctor Who is awesome.


Doctor Who is not the most consistently awesome show.  Some of the episodes are truly horrible, or worse, boring.  But when it's good, it is fantastic.  It makes me laugh, it makes me cry.  Sometimes in the space of ten minutes (I'm looking at you, season 4 finale)!

One of the best things about the show is the fandom.  It's so easy to get caught up in the Doctor Who universe.  There's a corner of fandom for the humor in Doctor Who, and another for those interested in the drama, or the ships, or the philosophy, or the history, or the science fiction.  And merchandise!  You can basically buy anything in the shape of a TARDIS on etsy.  There are daleks and sonic screwdrivers and bow ties to be had.  It is shockingly easy to let your life become consumed by the Doctor.  Says the girl who knows from experience.


Also included in my love of things starting with D and related to Doctor Who is...David Tennant.

toldie:

Drinking, Breathing, Writing, Singing on We Heart It. http://weheartit.com/entry/12155927


Dancing

When I was little, I would find some old CDs of my mom's (especially the Beach Boys or The King and I), then dance around the living room like a boss.  Then I got a bit older, and super self-conscious, and I stopped dancing.  I never went to any high school dances.  I never busted a move at parties or even for like, five seconds as a joke.



Luckily, college changed all that!  I used to dance around Craig 3, and while my roommates made fun of me, I knew it was mostly out of love.  Stephanie and I had the odd dance party or two.  And then I moved to Senegal and lived with Liz, who is probably the danciest person in existance.  We made dance videos, and by watching her, I slowly learned to stop spazzing and start moving with deliberation.  Sometimes.  My default is still to spazz.



I now live for weddings and the hours of dancing they sometimes offer.  I love the freedom of dancing, and I love watching other people dance.  It is, I think, the very definition of fun.  When done right, which means not caring what other people think.

Darren Criss



I first  fell in love with Darren Criss when he said Cho Chang was "supermegafoxyawesome hot" in A Very Potter Musical.  Then I found out that not only had he starred as Harry Potter, he had also written the music and helped write the play!  WHAT.  A couple years later his theatrical company (aka his friends from college) came out with A Very Potter Sequel, and I fell in love with him again. 

He has exactly my sense of off-kilter humor.  I admit to stalking his interviews on youtube, and he is a genuinely adorable person.  He's funny, confident, crazy smart (I love a man who naturally includes big words in ordinary conversations), and incredibly nice.  I, um, have a huge crush on him.

Now he's on Glee, which is unfortunate because I am so over Glee, but I can't stop watching now that he's a main character!  Ugh.  But it's worth it, because his voice and his face (and his sense of style, see below) are my favorite.

True statement, but I think it helps when you are as awesome as he is.

aaavadakedavra:

One of my absolute favorite quotes!

Drawing

I go through stages of artisticness. And one of my favorite stages to return to is drawing!  I love shading and the lines of clothing.  I love drawing hair.  I love finding that line between realistic and cartoonish.  Okay, I don't really find that.  I look for artists who do and then copy them.  But it's not like I want to sell my drawings.  I just love seeing a blank page turn into something beautiful.


Donald Miller


My preoccupation with relational and spiritual honesty is directly correlated to my discovery of Donald Miller's books.  He taught me that knowing Jesus is a winding path of highs, lows, revelations, and apathy, not some list of "do this and this will happen."  He encouraged me to live a life of adventure and meaning rather than succombing to ordinariness. 

And I totally met him when he came to Union.  He was charming even when I questioned his facial hair, and I am happy to have an autographed copy of Blue Like Jazz.  Unless he or I go crazy, I can guarantee I will buy all of his books (I even bought the one he wrote for boys without fathers).

No comments:

Post a Comment