Monday, October 3, 2011

"We Are So Blessed"

I have two problems with the habit some people have of saying, "God is good because of beds/freedom/heating/food/etc! We are so blessed!"

My first problem is this. I cannot help but imagine my friends from Senegal or Mongolia sitting beside me. If they heard that message, they would have no choice but to wonder, since I am not materially rich, because I was born into a country where the majority does not believe in Jesus, does that mean God is not blessing me? Does he not love me as much as he loves you?

And obviously, no no no! That is disgusting.

Secondly, and most importantly, how in the world can we put a "because" after "God is so good"? No reasons are needed! God is good because he is God. He is majesty, he is love, he is justice. He is good. The end. Whether we are healthy, crippled, rich, poor, saved, or lost...God is good. A god who is good based on the circumstances of my life is not God.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with people who say,"God has been good to us recently..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is Good, All the Time and All the Time, God is Good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Sister! God is good, and trying to relate that goodness to things in this world is an exercise in futility. We just bring God down to human standards when we do that. We are blessed because God has given us an opportunity for salvation, not because he gave us material things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think that it's okay to recognize when God blesses us, HOWEVER, I distinctly remember a Christian family member saying to me, "God has really blessed such and such with their beautiful children." These are people who (I know I shouldn't judge, but...) barely pay notice to God. And even though it's years later, I often think about what I must be doing wrong that God hasn't blessed me with beautiful children. And even though I know God is blessing me abundantly, it sticks with me. When you mentioned your Senagalese friends, it made me think of that...

    What's the deal with me not being able to log in and post my comment that way? :)

    ReplyDelete