Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mighty to Save

1.  It feels like nothing has changed.  Although it is different to fight Liz for the sheet rather than have our own bedrooms, we immediately fell into a breakfast routine of coffee (with Sussli and Vitalait) and cappuccino muffins while reading our Bibles.

2.  I got to ride the moto again.  It took no time to feel comfortable rummaging around in my purse and taking pictures and not holding on.  I love so much riding on the back of Liz's moto.

3.  We had church at the Forsythe's.  We read Scripture, sang a bunch of hymns, listened to Sally and Liz's testimonies, and took Communion.  My favorite church services are the ones here.  It's so intimate and personal and spontaneous.  Like people gathering to worship the God they love, which is how it should be.

4.  We skyped with Woodland.  When Joel heard Cheryl's voice, he sounded so in love.  Liz and I later confirmed that we both immediately thought of Slumdog Millionaire love, and we were jealous.

5.  Jonathan, the 3-year-old boy who lost a finger to a motorcycle wheel, came over for Christina to change his bandages.  His screams were heartbreaking, so I let Ethan take me to his room to play monopoly.

6.  I fell asleep in the kid's room, and Travis woke me up to take me back to Liz's.  (The Journeygirls and Hands On girls don't get to participate in our second meal.)

7.  Liz and I walked to Bigue's house.  Her sister just died, and I'm awful at dealing with death, but I think we distracted her a little and allowed her to have some fun.

8.  Liz just acquired a cold, so she napped when we returned to our house, and Melanie and I had a nice talk.  She is one of the new Hands On girls, and I really like her.  Not even faking, or trying to like someone that I'm secretly jealous of....I genuinely like her.

9.  Liz and I went to Mallory's house.  She napped as I walked to the Forsythe's house to pick up the other Woodlanders.  Mr. Lo arrived on a moto as I did on foot, so I got to say hi to him.  Cheryl and I gave him the books that Bill sent us, and he was very grateful and slightly embarrassed at Bill's generosity.

10.  Cheryl, Liz, and I walked to Mame Codou's house.  It was so wonderful to talk to her and joke around.  She and Lamba were probably my closest Senegalese friends.  She's so sweet, and I so enjoyed getting to see Cheryl meet her.  I like sharing my world with other people.

11.  Wendy worked all day in the kitchen, and the payoff was fantastic.  She made lasagna and Avantis bread for dinner with peach cobbler for dessert.  So delicious.  I might have had four pieces of bread.

12.  Melanie and Breanna and Kim were into the idea of HOPE, so we taught them Mighty To Save.  Man, those songs have so much more meaning in a city filled with people who need to be mightily saved.  Cheryl gathered us all together to pray afterward, which made me so happy she is here.  I am seriously the weak link in our group.  Everyone else is so awesome, and I'm so glad I get to work with them and see their passion.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! Tell Liz I hope she feels better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bigue who lives in our neighborhood and who met with me for English lessons. Not the one you met.

    And it's BiGue, not BiQue. That sounds Spanish.

    ReplyDelete