One week ago, I was painting women's toenails and dumping dirty foot-water into sand. A week ago I was in Senegal, an ocean away, on a different continent.
That doesn't seem like a big deal, and so the world seems small.
My mom told me it was weird that people didn't make a bigger deal that we had returned, and.....I agreed with all those people who didn't act like it was a big deal. I guess living overseas for five months makes a two-week visit seem less monumentous. Add to that international travel every six months and friends who visit other friends in Istanbul or France or India just for kicks--what a strange new world I live in.
I love it.
But really, it's completely head-spinning that I've not been home even a week. It feels like ages. It's depressing how quickly Senegal feels like a memory. The pictures are old news. The stories are told and retold.
Life moves too quickly sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment