Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Lesson Learned. Kind of.

I should have been prepared.  God taught me a lesson about making room for trials and pain, and about using those times to unmask my soul and see who I really am and what I really desire.  Of course He was teaching me because I was going to have to put it into practice.  I should be grateful for the heads-up, but mostly I feel stupid.  And pained.

A while ago I met a boy, and as I do, I immediately thought he was The One.  Which is silly, because I don't believe in The One.  (OH wait, look, there's me finding out some soul stuff.)  Anyway, I quite liked him, and he colored a picture and left it for me, which, can I just say, is cocaine to someone whose love language is gifts.  I didn't check him out on the internet because I wanted our relationship to grow naturally.  Well, screw that!  Turns out Mark Zuckerberg reinvented social networking for a reason, and the reason is this:  so that you can find out when cute nice guys are already engaged.

Seriously, I think I'm going to start a petition to stop Christian guys from being so annoyingly friendly, for the sake of poor sods like myself who are absolutely terrible at reading "signals."  Whatever those are.  Ugh.

And I shouldn't really be that upset, because I only knew the guy for two hours.  What really gets me is all the soul-baring that this has caused me to confront.  Because the fact that I jumped to marriage and happily-ever-after with a guy of mere acquaintance?  That's important.

I am still, apparently, a romantic.  There is this deep need within me to love and be loved by someone else.  I've tried to bury it under knowledge (because yeah!  I know that marriage is about 20x harder than being single!) and pride (because yeah!  I don't need a guy to complete me!).  But the truth is, regardless of whether I need a guy or not, and I truly don't think I NEED one...the truth is I want one.

Which makes me feel awful, because I really really want to get to a place where I only desire love from God.  I don't understand how to balance the in-born relational needs God placed in me with the call to completely and totally devote my life to God.

I don't know.

I'm disappointed in myself, and I'm disappointed in the world.  If I really am a pathetic sad sap, then that sucks, because there are no boys for Tricia in the world.  I have very high standards, and the few that meet them have already been taken or are not age appropriate.  Annoying, I say!

I'm not sure what to do with this new self-knowledge.  It doesn't change anything.  I'm still single, and still pursuing a meaningful life wherever God leads me.  What does it matter if now I know beyond a doubt that my soul would prefer not to stay single forever?  Well, at least I'm a bit more honest with myself.  Too bad it was easier to be self-confident and singley-assured.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know that being "not age appropriate" takes them out of the race. Because age isn't everything. And, especially if they're younger then you, it could certainly work out. Not to boost your hopes or anything. :)
    And also, I think that God wired us to desire that kind of love, and if it's His will for you to stay single, then He will continue to help you work through that desire to find Him as your everything.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wise. :) Why are you not more frequently in my life? Oh yeah, because we never live in the same city at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should probably visit me. Like before break. SOO..in the next two weeks. Get on it :)
    Em

    ReplyDelete