Sunday, November 28, 2010

Church Talk

I haven't had much of a chance to process this latest trip to Senegal--the day after I returned to the States, I immediately jumped into a crazy week at work.  Then I got a cold, and that was a nice excuse to sleep a lot and deal with the culture shock.  And then all of a sudden we were meant to talk.  I knew immediately what I would say, and I felt very removed and intellectual about it.

Then we sang "Before the Throne of God Above."  And I watched my own slideshow (which has a song from Mumford and Sons....they kill me with their truth and searching and honesty), and at a picture of me with Liz, Jesse, and Melanie, I suddenly choked up.  It was only two weeks ago.  I miss them.  I keep thinking of that night when Travis took me home, and Liz greeted me with, "Good, you're back!  I need you to listen to two songs!  And then we're going to watch this!" and in the process we talked a lot and laughed a lot and oh my word.  I want to go back.

And then Sally talked, and Wendy, Christina, and Cheryl.  It was so awesome to hear people talking about my third home, with love and hope and fond memories.  I love seeing people love something that I love.  Then I talked about the differences since I lived in Senegal, and all the awesome ways God is obviously working in Fatick and West Africa. 

I realized something.  I think I'm a bit of a mobilizer.  I mean, in my Hands On devotionals toward the end, that was a big thing, about going home and mobilizing other people to pray, give, and go.  But today I realized that being a mobilizer is not just something I feel I ought to do.  It's something I want to do.

I want to see Woodland members selling possessions and downsizing their houses or their retirement funds in order to give money to people working around the world to bring the good news of Jesus to people who don't know Him.  I want Woodland members to come together in prayer, covering the world with their faith that God will provide and guard His people.  I want Woodland members to rise up, to give up their jobs and take their families to the far corners of the world, to experience the grace and the peace and the love of God and share Him with others.  And I want to be right there in the middle of them.

Anyway, it was nice to learn that about myself, because even though Sally talks about all of us finding our niche on the trip....I didn't.  I don't know why I went, except that God was gracious and allowed me to see friends and see Him working.  Now I think I know a part of it.  I'm good with words.  I can write, and apparently I can speak okay.  I want to use my words to inspire and/or kick people in the pants, to be a part of mobilizing a new wave of devoted and sacrificial people who will follow Jesus into their neighborhoods, their inner cities, their countries, and their world.

2 comments:

  1. if there were a like button, i would click it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha me too :)
    And maybe Tricia you've just found your role in the US...besides living on mission. you can get other people to start pushing open doors.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete