Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cut All The Hairs!

Earlier this week I cut James' hair, and Abby just asked for some hair advice. It got me thinking about why I've cut my own hair for the last five years, and I came up with Three Formative Hair Experiences.

1. I grew up knowing that my grandpa cut his own hair. When Roy hit teenagerish years, he began cutting his own hair too. I figured if boys could do it with such short hair, it would be easy-peasy with long.

2. There is this cutscene in Final Fantasy 9 where Dagger pulls her hair into a ponytail and then slashes it off with a knife. I remember being so in awe of the swish of her hair as it fell around her face. I wanted to do that!

3. I got super fed up with my hairdresser. Every few months when I went in, I would say, "Layers! I love layers! Obvious, beautiful layers!" And every time she would cut these baby layers that were only visible if you looked long and hard. When I left for college, instead of wasting time looking for someone new to cut my hair, I took the plunge and did it myself. And my hair was gorgeous!

In conclusion, I really believe everyone should cut their own hair. It's cheaper. It allows freedom of creativity. It gives you control over the final product. And it's fun! Just always cut less than you think you want off, and trim from there. Because even when I'm adventurous, I'm cautious.

1 comment:

  1. Mulan did that whole hair slashing too... im pretty sure it works if it works in a cartoon.

    ReplyDelete