Saturday, July 10, 2010

Radical, by David Platt

I strongly, whole-heartedly, desperately encourage you to read Radical by David Platt. It is about giving up the American dream, of deliberately forsaking a life of comfort and materialism for the purpose of obeying God's command to take the gospel into all the world.

I will buy it for you if you want to read it. I'm not even joking. Give me your address and request, and I'll send it your way.

Tommy wrote a comment the other day about how it is more financially prudent to serve in Peoria than overseas. I understand the logic, but my heart revolts at the mere idea. I couldn't articulately explain why until I read this passage from the book, which in turn quotes Jim Elliot, the missionary who died obeying God:

"Consider the call from the Throne above, 'Go ye,' and from round about, 'Come over and help us,' and even the call from the damned souls below, 'Show Lazarus to my brothers, that they come not to this place.' Impelled, then, by these voices, I dare not stay home while Quichuas perish. So what if the well-fed church in the homeland needs stirring? They have the Scriptures, Moses, and the Prophets, and a whole lot more."

I understand that he is addressing the church more than the lost of America, but I believe that Americans have about twenty million times more chances to hear the gospel than other people around the world. I won't go into much more, because I will only be using David Platt's words as my own, and it would be better if you read his book and made your own decision.

3 comments:

  1. All mission is valid and valuable. Some are called to Peoria and some are called to Peoria. However, I need to be careful that I'm not "called" where I'm comfortable because I want to be comfortable. Brett once posed the question "why are 80% of the Southern Baptist pastors called to where such a small percent of the lost are." Meaning the sunny south may not be the greatest focus of God's call. All true mission is valid. All true mission demonstrates love for the Lord. All true mission is tough. All true mission leads people to Jesus. Let's "git er done." Thanks for writing. I'll get the book.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I did not stir up a hornets nest here. I agree with Bill, all mission is valid and valuable. One can be called anywhere and be a true missionary anywhere.

    To be a true missionary to South Peoria would mean living there, socializing there, eating there, sleeping there, learning the dialect and suffering the same indignities that they do. I don't think that would be "comfortable". I also don't think many would take on the task, because there is no glory nor recognition nor novelty involved.

    The plane fare is a lot less though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, I enjoy seeing/hearing you, but don't stop writing! For those of us who may not hear as well, and may not absorb as well, it is easier when we can read rather than "hear".
    About our discussion the other night,(I enjoyed that, too) I said that I could not love and worship a god who would create a person to send him to eternal punishment, giving him no choice. I could not... and do not... love and worship that God. The God I love gives me a chance to live with him in Heaven.
    There are some statements in the Bible that I do not fully understand, but the one verse that I do understand says that 'God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life'.
    As we discussed, I do not understand why I was given a much greater chance to hear/understand/believe/accept Him than others were given... such those to whom you were ministering the first 5 months of this year. Perhaps Tommy's math about dollars/souls is correct, but maybe God has called you and others to minister to other heathen places besides Peoria, where there are not 4 or 5 gospel churches within walking distance of their home, in order to better level the playing field.
    You will always be one of my favorite missionaries, whether you minister in Peoria or somewhere else that God calls you! God bless you. Listen to Him rather than us and you can't go wrong. Luv U!

    ReplyDelete