Today I had my first ever interview for a job! Which seems weird since I am 22 and have been working since my teens. But this is how I got my other jobs:
Piano Teacher
Sally: Hey, do you think you would want to teach some students so I don't have to do as much?
Me: Sure.
University Relations Student Assistant
Shari: Do you want to go to my old office? I hear they need new workers.
Me: Sure.
Office: We do need new workers! Do you want to start tomorrow?
Me: Sure.
Dr. Guthrie's Teaching Assistant
Dr. Guthrie: I liked your work this semester. Would you like to be my assistant?
Me: HECK YES I WOULD!
So you can see that I have not had much experience in the whole go-out-and-hunt-down-a-job area. But today that has changed! I am all grown up and such.
I met with a woman at the Dunlap Library for an interview this afternoon. It was very strange. She asked all the typical horrible questions about my strengths, weaknesses, and goals in life. I tried to balance the fact that I love books and I would absolutely love to encourage a new generation to love books too (my job would be the children's program director) with the fact that what I really feel called to do in life is international missions.
But that wasn't the strange part. That came when she sat on the floor and I read three children's books to her, complete with dramatic voices and facial expressions. Very awkward, but I was blown away by the growth of my confidence in that I actually did it without blushing or being lame. Well, I was lame, but in a completely different way. After reading, I had to organize a shelf of mixed-up books according to the Dewey decimal system. Cinch. If there's one thing I learned at University Relations, it's how to quickly organize things.
Anyway, I'd like to get the job. There's a sizable chance that I won't, because one of the other people she's interviewing did this exact same job at another library. That is not encouraging! But honestly, I won't die if I don't get the job. It would be nice if I do, but I trust that God has this all under control.
Excellent!!! You do a great job reading to kids! My kids love for you to read to them! I hope you get it, but even if you don't, I'm really glad you got this life experience. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteDid you seriously say, "Heck yes!" to Dr. Guthrie? I would have liked to be there.
ReplyDelete