Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Generations

I like who I am quite a bit. I don't mean that to sound boastful, and I really don't think it is. God has made me who I am, and I am pleased! I am not perfect, and I am therefore very excited for God to keep changing me as I follow Him and fall more in love with Him. My life will be awesome, I am sure. I have Jesus, how could it not?

One of my favorite things that God has grown in me is my age-blindness (like color-blindness, but with...age). I credit this to Woodland, where I was shuffled around and forced to hang out with people of all ages until it just became normal. The past few days exemplify this part of my life quite well, I think.

Sunday: David and Scott (teens) poked me in the ribs and threw me across roller skating rinks. I came away bruised but exhilarated.
Monday: I ate lunch with Sarah (30s) and my mom (50s). We talked about travel and culture amazing hotel rates.
Tuesday: I took cookies to Mrs. Hartwig (90). We sat and talked about baked goods and family and languages.

I loved each of those experiences. But I have to say I am very excited for next week, when I will be a part of a big wedding party extravaganza filled with 20-something-year-olds. I love learning from people of different ages, but I do very much love being around people who are of my generational thinking.

It's funny listening to some older people talk about my generation, because in a lot of ways we are looked down upon. And I can understand some of their reasons. But way more than being typecast as selfish and lazy (which we are a lot of times!), I prefer to talk about my generation with my generation. Because there is a pocket of my generation that is simply awesome.

I found that pocket in Turkey, and I changed my college social sphere to get into this awesome group of people. I will defend with my last breath, or printed word, the potential awesomeness of 20-something-year-olds. We are passionate, and we are not afraid to think big and think boldly. We are not afraid to give up our lives and our families and our friends for God. We want to change the way our generation is perceived, to rise above the way we were raised to become a mighty force for God.

It's far more encouraging to talk to my friends than it (sometimes) is talking to older people. I suppose we all think our own generation is best. Probably we all have something to learn from each other, which is why I enjoy hanging out with people of different ages. But I like the passion of my age group. I like that we are turning things on their heads. I like that we want a revolution.

Good times, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment