At chapel this morning, we sang several missions-oriented songs that largely revolved around the theme of "change me, God, give me Your heart" etc. They left me cold. I knew I ought to feel the lyrics, desire to live them out, but I didn't. I don't want to change. I don't want to sacrifice and suffer and stop being who I am so that I can become something better.
The last song we sang was "Holy, Holy, Holy" and the focus on God Himself immediately revitalized me. Yes, this. I cannot change myself, and I cannot even desire sanctification. But the holy, triune God? He is everything, He is worthy, and I will sing about Him with all my heart.
"Holy! Holy! Holy! Though the darkness hide thee,
Though the eye of sinful man thy glory may not see,
Only thou art holy; there is none beside thee,
Perfect in power, in love and purity."
I'm very tired of self-focused religion. I understand that it is necessary to some extent, but I think the ratio ought to be split. Let's have 80% of our worship and fellowship be about God, and only 20% be about us. I think that might even have more of an impact on sanctification, and more powerfully, because it will be growth as a result of staring into the holy face of God, and not some struggling battle of the will.
Your comments about how worship should be 80% about God and 20% about us rang a bell with me. I find most church worship and prayer time to be about us. We pray for things we want. We complain if we are not "fed" during church service. We forget that the whole idea of worship should be to recognize God for what He is and to acknowledge that. You are very perceptive...
ReplyDelete