Sunday, March 3, 2013

Online Writing Community

I joined an online writer's community.  For years I have been terrified of showing my writing to others.  That is why I switched from my English major--I realized I couldn't spend four years letting people see my work and criticize it as a group.  It's not just that I'm scared of people what people will say about what I write; I'm scared they'll say I'm no good at writing.  And well, writing is my thing.  It's the one part of me that I consider a talent.  With very little else to fall back on, it felt too vulnerable to expose my one talent to possible criticism.

Anyway, I decided that since I'm nearly 25, I ought to suck things up and get on with being confident.  So I joined an online community!  AND IT IS AWESOME.  Because here's the (obvious) thing:  there's a vast difference between thinking you're good at something and hearing someone else affirm you.

Added benefit, most writers tend to be self-conscious and easily hurt.  There's a reason we share our feelings on paper and in formalized stories or poems.  Actual communication is scary.  Writing allows us to share our thoughts from a distance.  Since pretty much everyone else on the site feels similarly, everyone is lovely and encouraging.

ANOTHER benefit, which I thought of after Jessica played me a song by Pink.  Usually when someone shares a problem or a hurt, the response is, "Oh, don't feel bad!  It could be worse!  I'm sorry, be happy!"  And since most poetry is about the sad things in life, that could be an unwelcome response.  Not so on this site.  Everyone comments with things like, "Yes, exactly, I've felt that way.  Thank you for sharing your feelings.  I'm so impressed with how you dug into that grit."

Sigh.  It's like finding a home, is what I'm saying.  I should have done this ages ago.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really, really glad that you've done this and especially that you are finding it to be a great experience. You are indeed a talented writer, and it must feel really nice to be in a group of other talented writers who can understand and relate. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete