Tommy requested a new blog post, and I was going to make one, but I couldn't. So instead I'm going to describe why I sometimes stop blogging for weeks at a time.
Sometimes it's because I'm busy. Schoolwork piles up, and when I have to schedule in time for roommate conversations and TV, blogging falls off the list entirely.
Sometimes it's because I'm being creative elsewhere. The last couple months I've fallen pretty heavily into poetry, reading some and writing a lot. Most of my ideas or rants get turned into poetry rather than prose, and I'm not brave enough to post them instead of my typical rambling entries.
Sometimes it's because I've got too much going on inside. I can only really discuss thoughts in my blog once I've got a handle on my opinion, or what I learned, or what I want. When I'm in the middle of feeling and learning, as I have been for the last few weeks, it's hard to get anything out. I'm very internal, and that's where I tend to process the big things. I don't mind sharing the trivial things I experience, or the big things that I've understood. But right now, describing what goes through my mind would give too much weight to things I want to avoid, or it would trivialize the things I'm feeling deeply. I'm not ready to open up my vulnerability; I need some armor before writing anything.
I don't foresee what I'm working through to be done any time soon, but I'll try to blog about the more trivial things flitting through my life, like my kiddos who I'm starting to love something fierce, or the hilariously terrifying demon oppression stories Dr. Dickens tells, or how Austin is the city of weird that immediately makes me feel at home. Gotta put in some disciplined writing practice!
Tricia, great to have you back! You can put on all the armor you want, I won't mind. I've no need to read about things you are wrestling with until you have them wrestled to the ground and crying "uncle". Then I do like to hear what you have to say about them. I like to comment on them sometimes too...
ReplyDeleteWe may not agree on some things, but I am always in awe of your mind and your ability to see things outside of the boxes we usually put things into. Plus, you are a really fine writer and it is nice just to read your comments and enjoy the choice of words and phrasing. You are good at that!
Thanks for the post!