A week ago, I was helping Anju get ready for bed (which usually devolves into me sighing, "You can sing and dance as much as you want, Anju, but you have to put on your pajamas WHILE singing and dancing.") and she rambled on about something entirely brilliant.
"Sometimes I want to be girly," she said, "And make my hair pretty and wear lots of pink and have glitter and stuff. But sometimes I want to attack people and fight and play games. I call myself an Adventure Princess."
I smiled at her and thought, "I'm totally stealing that idea." She's six. I don't think she understands copyright laws.
Because that's exactly how I see myself. I've written before about my discomfort with fitting into gendered boxes, and how I feel like I have a wider-than-normal masculine streak. And yes, I want to play videos games, and I punch people to show affection, and I think bowties and suspenders are the best items of clothing in the world. But I also like nail polish, and I love talking for hours on end, and I love Anju and Ketan pretty fierce.
I want to strap on (fitted) boots, arrange my hair in a messily fantastic braid, paint on dramatic eye makeup, grab a sword, and run screaming into an undiscovered wood.
I'm an Adventure Princess.
No comments:
Post a Comment