I like Laura because our conversation flows from Battlestar Galactica/Torchwood to legalism to wedding receptions to God's goodness in trials to my pathetic love life.
And for the first time, I found my love life hilarious. I guess it took telling the whole story to a new person that made me see just how ridiculous it is. "Well, there was this guy. We hung out all the time and I thought he liked me. Then he started dated someone else. Then there was another guy, and he totally flirted with me. But he confided that he was still in love with his ex-girlfriend. And then I met a perfect boy who colored me a picture, but then I facebooked him and he is engaged. Repeat x5."
It's official, y'all. I cannot read guys.
And you know what? That's really funny. And that is why I so enjoy that encounter with the cute boy on Monday. I pointed him out to Mom, and told her that he had said he hoped he'd see me again sometime. She raised her eyebrows and said maybe that meant he liked me. I crazy-smiled, then we both burst out laughing, because who the heck knows!? Not me. I am not a reliable narrator.
Romance is a mystery, and I not a detective.
You know, Trish, when I was a young man it was always the responsibility of the man to call the lady, she could not call him lest she appear to be "loose". But things are way different today (Thank God!), so if I were you I would be on the phone to that cute fellow and asking him to meet me for a coffee...The old Jewish saying "You don't ask, you don't get" may well apply here. Go for the phone!
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, he is already back in Philadelphia with his family. Our love was doomed from the start. And anyway, it is still tricky, because while it is more acceptable for the girl to do a little instigating, some boys find that a major turnoff.
ReplyDeleteOoh! Ooh! I think I know this one! This is the point in the romantic comedy when you call him anyway and leave him a rambly message, but then he thinks it's cute and comes back and has coffee and then invites you to go live in Nairobi with him. (Which is perfect for when/(if) I go to live in Nairobi next summer!)
ReplyDeleteOr is this the one where you become passionate pen pals and talk on AIM for a year and then he invites you to move to Nairobi with him even thought he's actually responsible for shutting down your small bookstore? Once again, you'll notice, you'll be in Nairobi by the time I'd be going there ;-)