Monday, June 20, 2011

Books are Stories Before They Are Tools

There is an adorable third grade girl who has come to each week's Monday Book Talk. She always shares what book she just finished reading, and often flips through the pages, showing me specific scenes or lines that made her laugh. She loves filling out the book review templates, and last week she even asked me for extra to take home.

This week, her mom stopped by to talk to me after our Book Talk was over. She wanted to know if her girl could distinguish the main idea of a story, and whether she ought to be reading more non-fiction, and what AR reading level she ought to aim for.

All of which I hate, hate, hate. I tried to explain, as nicely as possible, that books are meant to be enjoyed. Reducing stories to lists of themes or pigeon-holing them into incredibly narrow reading levels does no one favors. Books are entertainment, first and foremost. And entertainment should be informative. A good book will make you laugh or cry, will introduce you to a new way of thinking, will cause you to look at a moral dilemma in a new light, will put you in the shoes of someone from another lifestyle than you're used to.

I firmly believe that most fiction does just that, no matter the level, and despite the fact that it is not strictly "real." Sure, there are some real duds out there. But by and large, I think the answer to any "why can't my kid understand this yet...?" question is simply this. READ MORE!

You don't need a dictionary to learn vocabulary. You don't need a book about manners to teach you what comments will get you punched in the face. You don't need a level 5.6 book to prove that you are intelligent.

Just read, and keep reading.

This is why I never want to be a teacher. I don't want to be forced into playing by absurd rules for the sake of grants or the school's reputation. I already feel like maybe I'm a lazy libraraian. But whatever. More than I am a librarian, I am a reader, and I am a believer in the power of stories, no matter what form they may take.

5 comments:

  1. If this mother succeeds, she will remove all the joy from her daughter's reading and it will become only another chore. What a shame! Fortunately we did not have all this reading level clap-trap when I was a child and so I read what I wanted and what I liked. It is hard to imagine a life without the pleasure of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel isn't a reader. I used to try to push the issue but soon stopped. I didn't want him to HATE reading. So we make sure he is reading something to meet his "school" goals but he gets to pick. Rhianna devours books and loves to read. AR is only good as a guide. Pushing is bad...in all areas of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO NO NO!!!!! You don't have to play by absurd rules to be a teacher!!! One of the best books I ever read was called The Book Whisperer (yeah - look it up!) and is about how great teachers can "awaken the inner reader" in all kids. Everyone will like some kind of book. Good teachers find that kind of book. But...it takes actually reading AND get this - getting to know your kids! WHAT?!? I know!

    I want to make a snarky comment about what school or teacher this kid has, so if you want to tell me if you know, do! Or send me a private message or something, because I probably won't be surprised when you tell me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, btw, in an attempt to move my somewhat anonymous and hilarious xanga blog to blogspot, I've removed any hints as to my identity. It's Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly don't know the girl's school or teacher. Sorry, Jenna. And i love that i totally knew it was you before you gave up your identity. :)

    ReplyDelete