Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stop It, Eyeballs!

My word. I've just finished watching the second season finale of Doctor Who, and I've never cried at a television show so hard in my life. Not a exaggeration. I think season seven of Buffy held the title before this, but it doesn't even compare.

I'm talking sobbing through the last eight minutes of the show, shuddering gasps and puffy red eyes included. The only other time I've cried that hard at media was when watching Return of the King for the first time.

It's not hard to understand why I was reduced to a puddle of emotion. Rose is gone. At the start of the series, she was brought into a beautiful and awe-inspiring life of travel and adventure. She was willing to give up everything for it. People told her she was stupid, and they begged her to return home. Even the Doctor tried to send her away for her own safety. But she refused time and again. She knew what she wanted, and that was to stay with the Doctor.

I was prepared for Rose to die in this finale, because I knew it was her last episode. But to live on, cut off from the Doctor and forced to return to the normalcy of a job and family and one location? I CAN'T HANDLE IT. I would rather she had died a hero's death than this. This is far more tragic.

Over-identify much? I know, I know.

THIS STUPID TV SHOW. WHY ARE YOU SO AWFUL!?

4 comments:

  1. Rose was magnificent and don't worry, you will see later... No Doctor's companion ever really goes on to normalcy.
    C~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! She really came into her own...someone who leaps into the unknown and constantly risks her life without question...she is awesome! I had a hard enough time dealing with a new face on the Doctor, but his new companion won't be Rose at all. Too much turnover! I get too attached!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the beauty of the Doctor, you become attached to the characters in such a way that you are on pins and needles all the time. That is part of the reason that the Doctor has been around since the 60's. You should be moving on to David Tennant as the Doctor and Freema Agyemen as Martha Jones, slightly different dynamic but just as compelling

    ReplyDelete