Sunday, July 22, 2012

Emboldened by Church

I went to a church suggested by Lisa Weber today.  It was a bit more high church than I'm used to (I mean, the choir wore ROBES), but I kept liking what they were doing, even if it felt unfamiliar.  Three women sat around me and were very kind and friendly.  I'll probably go back next week and try the Sunday School as well, but I'm hesitant to commit to it just yet.

Let's be honest.  I'm hesitant to commit to any church at all.  Going on after Woodland is like breaking up--I need a bit of a grieving period, and maybe time to play the field a little.

The pastor was gone this week, and a woman intern filled in.  I quite liked her; she talked about being the peace of Christ, and what that looks like in our world of social divisions and prejudices.  Relevant to my interests.  And then she punched me in the face, while she was talking about yoga, of all things.  She said sometimes in yoga, you get in a new pose, and sweat is poring down your face, and you want to either cry, curse, or collapse.  But just as she was about to give in, her instructor said, "Practice begins when you want it to end."

Last night I was complaining about God, about how He pushes me past my limits, and how I wish He would just stop.  This morning one of His people told me that when I reach that point, practice has just begun.


1 comment:

  1. So i take it you're doing well... :) I'm sorry you're struggling slightly. My first week in Nashville I cried a lot. For some reason though I think I would do better working through anger rather than tears. The familiar is coming...I bet you know a few street names now! It can only get better from here! Im praying and praying and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete