Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Nerd Flail, Why the Bad Rap?

Two days until I take Laura to Florida with me, meet up with Stephanie and Amanda, spend the night in a swanky condo, and then party in HARRY POTTER LAND.

I called Stephanie today as she was in the middle of acclimatising Amanda to the glorious world of A Very Potter Musical.  When I told her I had forced Laura to watch it last week, we laughed at our samebrainness.  Because they will think the two of us are crazy if they don't know what we are quoting/singing non-stop . Okay, maybe they will think we are crazy anyway.

For instance, we agreed that as we go through the ticket gate into Hogsmeade itself, we will flail our hands and say, "Floo powder power, floo powder power, floo powder power!"  And the awesome thing is that I have a feeling if there is any place in the world where you can get away with that level of lunacy, it is Harry Potter World.

People have made fun of me for spending hundreds of dollars to go to a Harry Potter theme park.  But...why not?  If something you love is turned into an actual, real life place, why would you not go!?  Bring on the wardrobes that turn into forests populated with umbrella-toting fawns.  Let's have a massive Middle Earth full of terrifying orcs, beautiful elves, and grumbly dwarves.  This is imagination become flesh, and how is that anything but awesome?

I've quoted John Green, king of the Nerdfighters before, but here I'm doing it again.

"…nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’."    

So freaking excited.  Harry Potter World, I am coming!

1 comment:

  1. so jealous! :)
    and I love the quote--
    "like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can't-control yourself love it."
    That is so me, every time HP or AVPM comes up...and recently, Doctor Who.. haha
    make sure to take lots of pictures for me!!

    ReplyDelete