When I got back from Senegal, Nick Maclin told me he and the Wineingers wanted to have a college Bible study, and would I lead it? I immediately said yes, because while I was in college, I mostly hated going to Woodland. There was no college Sunday School and no college Sunday night activity. Sure, everyone welcomed me to join groups to which I didn't belong, but it was always awkward and I always dreaded it.
And I don't understand this gaping hole, because no matter the number, college kids are awesome. They have this desire, and the belief, that they can change the world. At Woodland, the college group was very much aware of the fact that we were given a lot through the youth group, and we were taught and equipped to take that knowledge and pass it on. So when our group started planning the Fellowship Weekend, I was so incredibly thrilled to be a part of a group that was learning about God and then putting that knowledge into practice, allowing the youth group to serve Him and have fun together at the same time.
But we caught a lot of flak. I got all worked up about it this morning, and it really does blow my mind that people are not supporting us, are still pushing us outside certain lines, when we are struggling to survive. This is the first college group that I can ever remember. Why are people not throwing themselves at us to help us? Why are we being knocked down for being too involved or not involved enough? It drives me nuts, and it genuinely gets me angry.
But. Oh my word, I love this group of friends. We decided not to participate in the youth group's Christmas gift exchange, because we didn't want to jump into that drama. So we finished studying Hosea, and talked about how the undeserving love of God should pour out of us and make an impact on the world.
That led to us deciding to create a different service project every month. It's going to be a college thing, but with any youth groupers more than welcome to join us. I don't want people to think we're controlling or whatever, but no way am I going to deny middle and high schoolers the opportunity to serve God and live a Christian life just because some people don't like us intermixing.
And I'm just so glad to be lifted up. This morning, I was so ready to give up. I don't know if anyone else (besides two or three people I've talked to) feel the same amount of drama that I do, but man, it sucks. I feel so much like we're being kicked while we're down, and maybe that is not the case, but it feels like it sometimes. And my reaction to being kicked is to stay down, or maybe run away. But not this college group! I'm so happy that they just jumped into doing something else.
I love Woodland a lot, and when thing get stupid, I become irrationally disappointed. I want Woodland to be totally awesome, and it hurts me when it's not. So it was exactly what my heart needed to be encouraged by the awesomeness of the Wineingers, Nick, Emily, the Webers, and Troy. They are totally awesome, and we've decided that if the face of Christianity will be changed, then our church needs to change, then our college group needs to change, then we as individuals need to change.
I love that. I'm so thankful that God didn't allow me to sulk for very long. I'm so thankful that He gave me another group of friends who will inspire and encourage and push me. God is great. He will give us opportunities to serve Him if we ask. I can't wait to see what we learn about Him and His people through college GASS.
No comments:
Post a Comment