I really want to see the new Facebook movie. Its theatrical trailer is one of only two that I've ever seen that knocked my socks off, if you don't count books-turned-to-movies which predispose my socks to being knocked off, and I'm not. However, the first time a movie trailer blew me away, the actual movie ended with a guy cutting off his penis after being accused of pedophilia. So. Maybe my movie trailer radar isn't so good.
The thing is, I have no friends. This is the one thing I'm not really loving about Peoria. There are tons of people here that I love, but when it comes to hanging out, I'm at a loss. When I think of something awesome to do, I literally have no idea who to ask to join me. Everyone is either in school, doing homework, or relating to their spouse or children. Where are the young single people!? Not in Peoria.
Except there is one, and she is from Mongolia. Ghani is here as an interpreter for the Samaritan's Heart project, and when the Paulis asked for someone to hang out with Ghani, it is sad how quickly I jumped at the chance to have a friend my age.
And she is awesome! Dang, that sounds conceited, because my followup thought is this: She is just like me! But it is cool, because we were raised on opposite sides of the world, but we are so similar. We like the same music. We choose Jacob over Edward. We have the same no-nonsense attitude toward romance. And that is wonderful, because I've been losing my edge there, what with everyone that I know being married or dating and me being alone. It is SO NICE to be validated, to be admired for being single. So often I feel like a social reject, but at least Ghani is proud of me.
And we both are passionate about wanting to serve God. Obviously, she is succeeding in that very well, and seeing her encourages me. She is so in tune with God, and so devoted to following His law, because she truly believes it will bring her the greatest joy. She is who I want to be.
Still, it's a little annoying, because even though we have the same values and we look at the world through the same lens, she is dating a boy (even though he tricked her into it, and she hates kissing....oh how much I love her) and she has a best friend of thirteen years. The two things I want most from life.
Regardless, it was super awesome fun to play piano duets.
Um, you came the wrong weekend. If you had been here yesterday you could have come to The Social Network with me.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm really curious what this other possibly disturbing movie with a knock-your-socks-off trailer was.
Daaaangit. I should just come down every weekend. I would, if gas were free.
ReplyDeleteWas it good?
And as for the other movie, I honestly can't remember its name. But I know it stars Kate Winslet and Patrick Wilson (but he is not the one accused of pedophile). It was just a weird, almost pornographic movie. But the trailer WAS awesome. You should try to watch that, at least.
I really liked it. Writing a review as we speak. I really want to put in a few quotes, but my favorites had profanity and I can't read the notes I made in the dark movie theater anyway.
ReplyDeleteI think I remember that one being nominated for several Oscars, but it sounded sketchy. Little Children, maybe? Ah, yes. Awesome trailer.
Yes, that's it!
ReplyDelete