Hello, pop culture.
I was a little skeptical when I found out that one of my favorite TV shows was going to have an episode all about God, because the things I love about Glee are its snark and sarcasm. I didn't think I could handle an episode in which God was mercilessly mocked.
But oh my word I loved it. It in no way validated Christianity, but it presented different views of spirituality in such beautiful honesty that I think it will get people talking and sharing their own beliefs.
I mean, whatever. So the God-centrism kicked off because Finn saw Jesus on his grilled cheese sandwich and proceeded to pray to win football games and get to second base with his girlfriend. But that was not supposed to be deep.
What got me was Kurt's pain, the going through life and the fear of death without a belief in God to comfort you. And I loved that Quinn quietly acknowledged that her relationship with God is what got her through her horrible life last season. And I loved Mercedes consistently and lovingly wooing Kurt toward the possibility of God, without anger or condescension or defensiveness.
Of course it wasn't perfect. Whenever pop culture tries to address God, and more specifically, who Christianity tells us He is, I find that they usually start from the wrong angle. This show was all about what we get from God. But what really matters is who God is, and that is all. What we want from God is so not at stake. God is God, and we just fit into that picture.
Even so, I thought it was a touching hour of television, and I hope that Christians will engage in entertainment like this and use it to talk to others about their faith instead of blindly shutting out everything that isn't perfect.
In related news, I just read an article about how J.K. Rowling talked about being a Christian and said she thought the Christian messages in her books were "obvious." Love.
No comments:
Post a Comment