Sunday, October 17, 2010

Conversations with Senegal

Lamba is sleeping over at Liz's house (in Fatick), so they called me while I was in handbells.  I called them back, and oh my word now I am so excited to get back to Senegal.  Here are some snippets of our conversation, because it made me laugh, and hopefully joy is contagious.

Lamba:  Tree-cee-a, are you ready Freddy?
Me:  ...?
Lamba:  Are you coming to the gun show, Tree-cee-a?
Me:  Where are you learning these things?  Did you do this, Liz?
Liz:  I would never!
Lamba:  I have a bone to pick with you, Tree-cee-a.
Me:  Okay, Lamba, we'll pick some bones.
Lamba:  Yes, we will pick a bone.

Lamba:  Did you buy me jelly beans?
Liz:  I still don't know how you heard about jelly beans, Lamba...
Me:  I just bought you some yesterday!  What will you give me?
Lamba:  What do you want?
Me:  Poulet yassa.  Every night.
Lamba:  Every night!?
Me:  Yes.  One jelly bean for one meal of chicken yassa.
Lamba:  One!  No.  Five jelly beans for...
Liz:  No no no!  Lamba, that's not a good deal.

Lamba:  You sound different, Tree-cee-a.
Me:  What?  How?
Lamba:  You sound American.
Liz:  Your voice is covered in it!
Me:  What!?  Salaam Malekum.
Lamba and Liz:  Malekum salaam!
Me:  Magifeerec.
Lamba and Liz:  BAHAHAHAHAHA.
Me:  .....What did I say?
Liz:  You just said, "Hi!  I'm fine."



Oh my gosh, I'm so ready to go back!  I think it will be impossible to leave.  Maybe I can just stay for five more months?

2 comments: