Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tattoos

I have sort of wanted to get a tattoo for several years now.  And for some reason, this desire has been more pressing lately.  I mean, not pressing like I have to do it or I'll die.  But I want it more.

I mentioned this at the Monahan's last night, and there was wide-spread confusion.  Abby asked me not to make any decisions rashly.  Oh, Abby.  I rarely make decisions rashly (says the girl who decided to move to Texas three days into her first visit to Texas).  But for real, I don't.  I think and think and think about something, and then all of a sudden, I choose.  So it looks abrupt from the outside, but in actuality, I mostly operate on "let me think for five months, and I'll get back to you."

Anyway.  Tattoos.  I've long heard about Leviticus 19:28's message not to cut the dead or put marks upon yourself.  I used to be the sort of person who would tell people considering tattoos that the Bible explicitly forbid it, and I would say that with a condescending smirk. 

Ever since taking my Bible Study class, I've learned the importance of context.  And it makes sense to me that this particular law might be contextual.  Because I don't want to rush into any permanent decisions without making sure I have an opinion on this matter, I've been looking up stuff about Christian outlooks on tattoos.  So far the websites I've seen condemning tattoos were surprisingly over-the-top judgemental, and the website I found allowing tattoos talked about God telling his people to avoid anything that smelt of paganism.  Pagan neighbors mark themselves up?  Don't do it.  Stand apart. 

Taken from ancient context into present day, the logical question is:  does having a tattoo look like paganism?  Will having a tattoo make someone assume I do not follow Jesus?

And....I don't think so?  Mileage may vary, but I don't think tattoos are associated with the occult or anything.

So I've come to the decision that getting a tattoo is okay.  But why would I want one?

I like the idea of permanence.  I'd like to believe that I will always love and serve God, but honestly I have no idea what will happen in my life and how I will react to it.  I like the idea that there will be a mark on my body that could remind me of God, even when I don't want it to.  I love Proverbs 3:3, "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart."  I know that the verse is metaphorical, but I love the idea of some physical reminder of my devotion to God (like ancient Jews would wear tassels or bind Scripture to their forehead).

I want to be reminded that I serve God even when I don't want to serve God.

For a long time I wanted to get a name of God tattooed in Hebrew or Greek.  But then that felt weird, like I was branding myself God.  I thought of a word like "humility" or something, but I didn't want to label myself with something that might not hold as much weight in 20 or 30 years.

So lately I've been thinking of getting something to symbolize the Trinity.  I want to be reminded of all three aspects of God.  I want to be reminded of God himself, always with me.  I found out about the Triquetra, and I really love it.  It's beautiful.  It's symbolic.  It's got roots in history.

 

I dunno.  I like the idea of having this on my wrist.  Somewhere I could cover it with sleeves or a big bracelet if I end up working overseas in a country that frowns on tattoos.  I don't think I'll get it any time soon, if I do decide to get it at all.

So my question is: what are your thoughts?  Do you think tattooing is always wrong?  Do you think there are benefits to tattooing?  Do you not care at all?

I don't want to make this decision in isolation.  That's what Christian community is for, right?

5 comments:

  1. I almost spewed a big long explanation about why I inked what I inked. But what I’ve come to understand through looking at it through scripture both old an new testament, is that the cutting tattoo art (aimed at leaving scars in the shapes of things) had a direct correlation with paganism and God, speaking to the Israelites in Lev. wanted them to be completely apart from that. But when Jesus asked the Gentiles to come to him, freedom in Christ was free to all. That doesn’t give free reign to go crazy with our bodies, but what I have done is not rebuking or pulling away from Christ in any way, I feel.

    My thoughts on my tattoos…I think b/c of that permanence, they draw me close to God and remind me that it’s required no matter what stage of life, or what my feels are for God at that particular stage in life. I have permanent marks of servanthood that I am bound to both spiritually and now physically and that is a way that I choose (or really strive) to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember way back in 1956 when I joined the Navy, and most of us wanted a tattoo...didn't all "real" sailors have at least one tattoo? For some reason that now escapes me, I did not get one. Later in life I was glad I did not, because in my business world era (1970-2000) tattoos were mostly sported by the lower, less educated class...kind of like wearing white socks all the time. Professional men would go through all kinds of agony to get a tattoo removed that they had gotten when they were young and foolish.

    Things change.

    You are not young and foolish, and tattoos are now socially acceptable, at least in the younger set. People my age still frown on them. These things seem to go in cycles, and maybe in another 20 years tattoos will again be a lower class thing. If that happens, you may wish you didn't get it. My advice would be to think hard before you make a permanent mark on your body. It seems you are already doing just this. If you decide it is the right thing to do, do it. Your call...! Just be really, really sure first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely don't think that it is 'wrong' to get a tattoo.
    And I agree with both Lindsay and Tommy :)
    I think that having this as a permanent reminder of God and God's glory is a cool thing.
    I also think that when you're forty, or sixty, or eighty, it may not look as awesome as it may now.
    As I have been thinking of the pros and cons off and on for a while now too, those are the two things that have stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! and I love what you've chosen to get (if you so choose).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about getting a tattoo before, but decided against it. Now after having my body ballooned by 3 different children, I'm not sure it would look exactly like I desired when I got it. I got my belly button pierced in college because I REALLY, REALLY wanted it. Now my belly button looks freakish and gross. I wish I had not gotten it only 10 years later.

    With that being said, if you decide to get one I know a guy that has a tattoo place in Jackson, and he is an absolutely amazing artist. He also has a beautiful 6 month old baby girl. :)

    ReplyDelete